Changed puppy food now she wont eat. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Changed puppy food now she wont eat.

So my 4 month old dog was on Science Diet and after hearing how horrible it was I bought a bag of BB puppy to switch I did the recommended mix of old with a little new and she ate it the first night like she really liked it and hasn't eaten since!! I have just given her the straight Science Diet and took out the BB just to make her eat because I am worried and she ate less than half a cup. Last night I mixed some wet dog food with it and she ate a lot last night and now she wont even her bones and treats!! I don't know what I am doing wrong is 4 months to early to change their food? She is also teething really bad maybe that has something to do with her loss of appetite?? Nothing is different about her #2s but when she stopped eating the #2 were less often and smaller but still remains the same consistence... HELP please! I don't know what I am doing wrong.
KHLOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with you that her loss of appetite is probably due to teething. I also think that she could just be full after eating a lot the day before when you mixed in the wet food to get her to eat. If the weather is warm where you are, that also could be something to do with it. From your post, I gather that she is feeling okay apart from the teething, so I would not be worried.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boy was teething heavily last week. His food cut almost in half. I wet it down with water. That helped. He is back up to eating normal. I would wait until she is done teething to switch her food. That way you know if its the food or the teeth.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wet mushy soft warm puppy food might be the ticket if the teething is getting the better of her....

If I am understanding this correctly.." Last night I mixed some wet dog food with it and she ate a lot last night"....then go with what works. I recall a time or two when I worried about my dogs not eating like a starved castaway..I'd put a bit of warmed beef broth or something similar in their kibble and let it sit for awhile ...and they'd take interest. However, if a dog went without eating for any extended period of time ( different for a pup vs an adult )...I'd breakdown and go to the vet....what the heck.

Oh, someone in this forum has posted, when your "teether" gets to wanting to chew up the countryside...the idea of a wet hand towel put in the freezer, sounded like a great idea...probably be great for any teething discomfort or type A behavior associated with it.

Just keep a watchful eye on your pup and you will know and act best...

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you very much! Yeah the wet food helps and I have just went out a bought a bag of the old food I try and change it maybe in a couple of months but for now I'm just going to do what works. Thanks for all the help I feel better about it now. Hopefully she gets to eating again soon.
KHLOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.