Puppy suplements - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Puppy suplements

Could somebody recommend a brand/link to glucosamine or any other supplements you have used for puppies joint/ cartilage support?

I am not jumping to any conclusions but i heard a popping sound from my puppy's hip, twice this month. I know that a joint can make such sounds and so can muscles. She is 5 month and has no other signs. She runs across the yard faster than my 1 year old, she goes none stop, she runs like an adult and really knows how to use her legs. all of her running and playing is in a fenced in yard at will. No limping, no bunny hopping. So I am not rushing her to the vet, but I will call and ask for feedback next time she is at the vet we will check her out better and do an xray.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

my guys trainer recommended NuJoint Plus. It seemed pricey but that's what he's on now
Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Somehow, someway you need to move the rear leg around and have your hand on the hip to feel if something is out of whack - out of joint - popping - whatever - listening may do half the job - you need to have your hand on her hips and move them around and look at the dogs eyes and see if he/she is in pain ..
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg View Post
Somehow, someway you need to move the rear leg around and have your hand on the hip to feel if something is out of whack - out of joint - popping - whatever - listening may do half the job - you need to have your hand on her hips and move them around and look at the dogs eyes and see if he/she is in pain ..
yep we did that, nothing seams odd, they feel the same, she is happy and does not flinch no matter where i touch. I have extended it and pushed it up folded. No reaction what so ever.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Could somebody recommend a brand/link to glucosamine or any other supplements you have used for puppies joint/ cartilage support?

I am not jumping to any conclusions but i heard a popping sound from my puppy's hip, twice this month. I know that a joint can make such sounds and so can muscles. She is 5 month and has no other signs. She runs across the yard faster than my 1 year old, she goes none stop, she runs like an adult and really knows how to use her legs. all of her running and playing is in a fenced in yard at will. No limping, no bunny hopping. So I am not rushing her to the vet, but I will call and ask for feedback next time she is at the vet we will check her out better and do an xray.

Thanks for the help!
I give my boy cosequin joint health supplement. It has glucosamine hydrochloride(derived from shellfish)500 mg
Methysulfonymethane (msn) 500mg
On the bottle it gives doses by weight. My pup is 31 pounds, so he takes two a day. The bottle has 75 tasty chewable, that are shape like bones =)
Wal-Mart 10-12$
I give them to my boy, just in case. No signs of any problems now, but hopefully it prevents joint problems down the road. My boy loves them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

The one I use is a flax based, it has 3x the dose of cosequin per serving. HylaSport Canine
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
The one I use is a flax based, it has 3x the dose of cosequin per serving. HylaSport Canine
Is that one for if your dog does have joint problems? I was just wondering if it's the extra strength one. I know mine says to use on a healthy pup that has no problems. That's why the low mg. I'm not a vet, so I don't know what mg they do need. I know he gets two do to his weight, so I actually give 1,000mg daily.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Just an update that the vet sees no issues. Popping sound can come from joint fluid and happens as normal growth. He does lots of natural approaches and did not recommend any supplement. He recommended vitamin C and flax seed oil for Zeus. Vitamin C to reduce blood histamine levels.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

MegaC developed by Dr. Winfred Belfield.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I use Nupro Silver with both my girls, it's tasty and they seem glossy and happy on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.