German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Puppy poo breath!!!!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/444058-puppy-poo-breath.html)

FuzzButtMum 04-29-2014 09:32 AM

Puppy poo breath!!!!!!

Right, so Finnick has this new thing where he will poop and immediately eat it!!! I turn around to see he is licking his lips and can still smell the fresh poop, so I know what he's just done (TMI?). I've managed to catch him a few times before he sneakily gobbles it but sometimes I am not fast enough. I know it's normal for dogs to eat poop :poop: but I swear it's making his breath STINK!!! It's either the poop, or because he is teething. Sigh.

Does anyone else have poop eating puppies with bum breath?

:poop:

igottabecrazy 04-29-2014 11:46 AM

I've caught Indie doing it a couple of times - both hers and our other dog. Right in front of me on walks. I got really upset with her - not violent, just kind of vocal. She got the "oh no I've disappointed mom" look on her face. She hasn't done it much since - when I catch her I express my disapproval. I think she's outgrowing it. But.... now when she pees, she immediately turns around and gives the spot where she went a good sniff. I really do wish they could talk.

FuzzButtMum 04-29-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igottabecrazy (Post 5446346)
I've caught Indie doing it a couple of times - both hers and our other dog. Right in front of me on walks. I got really upset with her - not violent, just kind of vocal. She got the "oh no I've disappointed mom" look on her face. She hasn't done it much since - when I catch her I express my disapproval. I think she's outgrowing it. But.... now when she pees, she immediately turns around and gives the spot where she went a good sniff. I really do wish they could talk.

I can show all the disapproval in the world to Finnick when he's just stoof and gobbled his poop up and he just looks at me with a satisfied *gosh that poop was tasty* look and happily wonders off lol

He also sniffs his pee puddle.....I think it would be quite amusing to hear them talk :P

E.Hatch 04-29-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzButtMum (Post 5447338)
I can show all the disapproval in the world to Finnick when he's just stoof and gobbled his poop up and he just looks at me with a satisfied *gosh that poop was tasty* look and happily wonders off lol

He also sniffs his pee puddle.....I think it would be quite amusing to hear them talk :P

Eugene does the exact same thing. He tries to gobble up the poop before I can get there to pick it up. We're working on leave it but so far he won't listen when it comes to leaving that particular disgusting goody :)

And yes it makes his breath smell awful.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

FuzzButtMum 04-29-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.Hatch (Post 5447578)
Eugene does the exact same thing. He tries to gobble up the poop before I can get there to pick it up. We're working on leave it but so far he won't listen when it comes to leaving that particular disgusting goody :)

And yes it makes his breath smell awful.

Haha, yep! Finnick sees it as a game too....as soon as he sees me approaching he picks up a piece of poop and runs away :headbang:

We're also working on "leave it".....it's not going great lol!

pyratemom 04-29-2014 03:53 PM

Raina went through the same stage - would turn around and gobble faster than I could scoop. Through much vigilance and being ready with a scoop whenever she starts to circle I have pretty much cut that out. If I leave the poop in the yard for say 15 minutes - she will try to eat it. My vet suggested putting hot sauce on it but since when she was a puppy she chewed the arm off a lawn chair that was covered in hot sauce I doubt that would work. I have to scoop immediately and that is the only answer. I began to say leave it as soon as she was done with the posture required to poop, then call her over to me for cookies (buffalo liver pieces). She eventually got to where she will walk away afterwards but I can't leave it lie there or she will go back eventually. I always thought maybe it was a female dog thing but I have seen male dogs do the same thing.

Jwrobinett 04-29-2014 04:07 PM

My breeder told me that if they get in a habit of eating poop to give them some pineapple and it will upset their stomachs and change what they crave or something like that? I don't know the exact explanation, but she said that the pineapple helps! Good luck though haha!

FuzzButtMum 04-29-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyratemom (Post 5448058)
Raina went through the same stage - would turn around and gobble faster than I could scoop. Through much vigilance and being ready with a scoop whenever she starts to circle I have pretty much cut that out. If I leave the poop in the yard for say 15 minutes - she will try to eat it. My vet suggested putting hot sauce on it but since when she was a puppy she chewed the arm off a lawn chair that was covered in hot sauce I doubt that would work. I have to scoop immediately and that is the only answer. I began to say leave it as soon as she was done with the posture required to poop, then call her over to me for cookies (buffalo liver pieces). She eventually got to where she will walk away afterwards but I can't leave it lie there or she will go back eventually. I always thought maybe it was a female dog thing but I have seen male dogs do the same thing.

Paha, oh dear! She's a hot sauce connoisseur then! That's a good idea about saying "leave it" as soon as he finishes....we just need to work on his "leave it" though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwrobinett (Post 5448162)
My breeder told me that if they get in a habit of eating poop to give them some pineapple and it will upset their stomachs and change what they crave or something like that? I don't know the exact explanation, but she said that the pineapple helps! Good luck though haha!

If he carries on and nothing works, I might look into that! Thanks :)

mydogs 04-29-2014 06:11 PM

I've caught Irok a few times the last few weeks but he's not eating his. He's eating my Great Danes😱😱😱😱

Momto2GSDs 04-29-2014 08:01 PM

Maybe some of the following suggestions will help!
Good Luck!
Moms:)

Training:
Per Whole Dog Journal: The four R’s of dog training, can be used to address almost any training issue:

1.REDUCE ENERGY
2.REDIRECT THE NEGATIVE
3.REINFORCE THE POSITIVE
4.REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT

Applying the four 4 R’s to address Coprophagia.

REDUCE ENERGY: “While debate continues as to whether coprophagia is a behavioral problem, there’s no doubt that dogs who are bored, receive little aerobic exercise or interesting play, and have unlimited access to their own or other
animals’ droppings will be difficult to discourage. Increasing the dog’s active exercise, giving him a larger assortment of interesting toys to play with, keeping the dog’s exercise area clean and free from
excrement, keeping cat litter boxes out of reach, and giving the dog several small meals per day rather than only one large meal can all help reduce his interest in coprophagia or at least reduce his opportunity to indulge”.

REDIRECT THE NEGATIVE: You need to first get your dog’s attention OFF the stool and to you. You may be able stop the behavior using a no reward marker (NO!) or duck noise (AAAAACCCKKKKK!) If this doesn’t work, you may need to try something stronger – perhaps an alarm, loud horn or whistle –any obnoxious noise to temporarily get the dog’s attention back to you. If this doesn’t work, try tossing a shake can (a small metal can filled with pebbles or coins) near your dog to get his attention. Some trainers have used a remotely operated citronella spray collar – when your dog turns around to eat the feces, immediately push the button on the remote to spray the dog in the face with the citronella spray to get his attention away from the feces. You may need to have your dog on a lead that you can step on, to prevent him from getting to the feces before you can redirect him. NEXT – let your dog know what you WANT him to do by redirecting his behavior. For some dogs, yelling DO YOU WANT A COOKIE and waving a treat bag in the air will get your dog running towards you! You might have to bring out your dogs favorite toy (A squeak toy? A tennis ball?) and entice him with that. You might engage your dog in a game of chase by running in the opposite direction! Do whatever it takes to get
your dog to come to you! The name of the game is “do your business, then come running to me for a reward”.

REINFORCE THE POSITIVE: When your dog comes running to you, enthusiastically reward the behavior with a verbal marker (YES, GOOD BOY) and an incredibly tasty high value food treat – dry biscuits aren’t going to cut it here!

REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT: When teaching any type of new behavior, you must repeat, repeat, repeat! Practice makes perfect. Consistency is critical. Behaviorists estimate that it will take at least a month – and possibly as long as six months –to break this habit, but with practice (and the use of very high value treats), your dog will learn that running back to you after doing his business results in good things happening to him – high value treats! Yum!

Here are some other thoughts:

Per PetMD: "For some dogs, eating feces is a behavior learned from the litter-mates and/or mother. But, dogs that are fed a low-quality food (or an insufficient amount of food) may also resort to eating feces in an instinctual attempt to balance out a dietary deficiency. This may be further exacerbated if your dog has a digestive enzyme deficiency, because it prevents any of the food’s nutrients to be properly absorbed by the body. Basically, your dog is attempting to eat feces in the hopes to forgo starving to death."

Dr. Karen Becker: "Dogs on entirely processed, dry food diets, who eat no living foods at all, will intentionally seek out other sources of digestive enzymes to make up for their own lifelong enzyme deficiency. Feeding your pet a diet containing human-grade protein, probiotics and supplemental digestive enzymes can sometimes curb the urge to find gross sources of free enzymes around the yard or in the cats litter box."

Coprophagia can also be caused by a Vitamin-B1 (Thiamine) deficiency. “B-1 deficiency can be caused by feeding your dog a low-quality or a nutritionally incomplete diet (Dogspire).”

Vitamin Code Raw B Complex (raw whole foods): RAW ORGANIC FRUIT AND VEGETABLE BLEND(ORGANIC:STRAWBERRY,CHERRY,BLACKBERRY, RASPBERRY,BEET JUICE,BROCCOLI,CUCUMBER,TOMATO,KALE,SPINACH,CABBAG E,CAULIFLOWER,CELERY,PARSLEY,ASPARAGUS,GINGER)

The dog may need some Vitamin K-1. You can supply this naturally to her diet by adding 1 Tablespoon of chopped parsley every other day (never use synthetic Vitamin K-3, also called Menadione Sodium Bisulfate, as prolonged use can possibly damage organs and have a carcinogenic effect). Additionally, “the flavonoids in parsley—especially luteolin—have been shown to function as antioxidants that combine with highly reactive oxygen-containing molecules (called oxygen radicals) and help prevent oxygen-based damage to cells. In addition, extracts from parsley have been used in animal studies to help increase the antioxidant capacity of the blood.”

Adding animal based enzymes and fresh foods that contain Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine) could curb this habit.

BileX is an animal based digestive enzyme and very cost effective. It contains Pancreatin, Ox Bile Extract and Papin (Papaya). Crush 1 or 1 ½ tablets between 2 spoons and mix into the dogs food.
Bilex 90 Tablets by Douglas Laboratories

Pro-Biotics also aides the gut: For Pets Probiotic Pet Probiotics | Optimal Digestive Health for Pets - Mercola.com

Another Digestive Enzyme/ProBiotic combinations choice is called Sunday Sundae: http://ineedthat.corecommerce.com/Sunday-Sundae.html

Here are some fresh foods that you can add to your dogs’ diet.
Pork is high in B-1. 1/3rd cup served raw several times per week may help. Pork must be frozen for at least one week before it is given to your dog. Choose very lean pork such as diced “taco meat” without any seasonings added or purchase pork chops on sale, take off most of the fat and cut in smaller pieces before freezing. Introduce slowly in small amounts at first.

Liver from Beef, Pork (frozen for one week), and Chicken contain Thiamine.
Asparagus (pureed), green peas (pureed), ground flax seed and tuna (cooked) also have high quantities of B-1 that can be added to the diet.

If you look for a commercially prepared “stool deterrent” make sure that it doesn't contain MSG (Mono-sodium Glutamate) which can be toxic.
Please research MSG (Accent) before purchasing as it is VERY suspect of being a dangerous toxin:
Per Wiki: MSG is classified by the FDA as an excitotoxin, a dangerous neurotoxin that shrivels and kills brain cells and has been linked to causing seizures, migraines, heart palpitations and even cancer, amongst it's many symptoms.... in people! Never mind your dog, YOU should be avoiding MSG! It's definitely one of those things you should not feed a dog.
http://evidenceofmsgtoxicity.blogspot.com/: All processed free glutamic acid (MSG) – no matter how produced -- is neurotoxic (kills brain cells) and is endocrine disrupting (damages the endocrine system) (7-8). In addition, all processed free glutamic acid (MSG) will cause adverse reactions ranging from feelings of mild discomfort or simple skin rash to such things as irritable bowel, asthma, migraine headache, mood swings, heart irregularities, asthma, seizures, and depression when the amount of MSG ingested exceeds a person's MSG-tolerance level(9).
http://thehydrantblog.com/2012/07/31/dog-food-and-the-hidden-msg/ MSG or glutamate is a suspected addictive neurotoxin that has been associated with chest pain, headaches, numbness, asthmatic reactions, brain damage (in rats, rabbits, chicks and monkeys), depression, irritability, and mood changes, reproductive dysfunction in males and females, nervous symptoms (decreased sensibility in neck, arms and back) and irregular heartbeat. It’s also on the FDA’s list for further study for possible mutagenic teratogenic, subacute and reproductive effects.

If considering changing foods, I would suggest high quality food such as The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food www.thehonestkitchen.com , or Acana Grain Free www.acana.com or Fromm's Four Star Grain Free http://frommfamily.com/products/four-star/dog
Click on their “location finder” to type in your zip code for food retailers near you.