German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   3 Year Rule For Getting a 2nd Puppy? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/443778-3-year-rule-getting-2nd-puppy.html)

scarfish 04-28-2014 02:49 PM

3 Year Rule For Getting a 2nd Puppy?

i heard this rule of thumb many times and just don't get it as long as your 1 year old is properly trained and socialized/loves other dogs. just wanted to share my experience and hear about other experiences on the subject.

i totally disagree with the 3 year rule. as long as your first dog is highly trained and loves to be around other dogs.

we got our first dog named julie at almost 5 months old. never socialized with dogs or people, was extremely terrified to even walk past a person, she would crouch down and stop walking if another person walked by during walks, never house trained, didn't know a single command.

we put her into basic classes which my wife did 'cause they are done at her job. trainer does all types of training but his main thing is his company trains and sells dogs to the military and law enforcement. she was a star and picked up everything faster than normal. we started late in her life and before she was a year old she got her CGC and was in advanced classes with the mals that have been doing it for years and giving them a run for their money. all off leash obedience/rally, agility and poked our noses into explosives detection.

all the time julie was going with my wife to her doggy day camp job everyday. spending 8 hours a day playing with dogs of every breed and training level. she really loves playing with dogs and it's great for her dog socialization and all the exercise she gets. she turned out to be so good with dogs that she is used as the interview/meet and greet dog to see if new clients' dogs are compatible with other dog before their dogs can attend camp.

on my wife's days off or when wife's work was too busy and she leaves julie home, julie just wasn't the same. a spark was missing i could say. wife suggested another dog, i said **** no! 2 cats and a dog is enough. wife talked me into it. when julie was a year and 4 months we picked up another GSD, 8 weeks old. what do you know, they were immediately best friends. completely inseparable and best yet julie is just overall a much happier dog with another dog companion 24/7. we can so easily how much a happier all the time julie now is. not that she wan't happy before but she is overly happy, smiling all the time. when you look at your dog and can tell they are happy it makes you happy. i'm more happy to see julie happy ALL the time now.

the best decision i ever made was getting a new puppy for my 1 year old

5 minutes together

2 weeks together

2 months together

best buds!

ZoeD1217 04-28-2014 03:00 PM

Sweet pics!!

I only have one and can barely handle her. I was under the impression a lot of the 3 yr rule was also so you wouldn't have senior dogs at the same time as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

shepherdmom 04-28-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5441834)
i heard this rule of thumb many times and just don't get it as long as your 1 year old is properly trained and socialized/loves other dogs. just wanted to share my experience and hear about other experiences on the subject.

i totally disagree with the 3 year rule. as long as your first dog is highly trained and loves to be around other dogs.

First off I'm going to say I've got dogs that close together so I'm going to agree with you that it can be done.... However, the down side that I've had to deal with, more than once, is on the other end. You loose them close together. Its hard losing one. Having them both pass within a short time is absolutely killer.

Yak 04-28-2014 03:07 PM

I can't see any pictures!:help:

scarfish 04-28-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yak (Post 5441954)
I can't see any pictures!:help:

they're youtube embeds not pics. maybe you're at work and they have youtube blocked?

kiya 04-28-2014 03:12 PM

Having 2 seniors is tuff. Apache is almost 11-1/2 and Kiya will be 10 in May. Both are having mobility issues amongst other issues. If I'm not at the vet with one I'm picking up meds or something. Subconsciously think we got Lakota now 4yrs old to ease the heartbreak that's enevitabe.
If I was rich it would be easier to deal with having 2 needy seniors.

LaRen616 04-28-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5441834)
the best decision i ever made was getting a new puppy for my 1 year old

You are not supposed to get a dog for the purpose of entertaining your current dog, you are supposed to get another dog because YOU want another dog. Your current dog already had a friend (you) and your current dog should already have been getting entertained (you.)

I have never heard of the "3 year rule" between dogs but I am guessing they said that because your dog is not physically and mentally mature until 3 years of age. Some dogs are friendly with other dogs when they are young but then when they mature things change and they no longer tolerate other dogs. So if you have 2 dogs close in age when they mature they might start fighting. It's also not a good idea to get a puppy when you already have a young dog because they can take a couple of steps back in training or they can pick up bad habits from the new puppy. Also when the dogs get older you will have 2 seniors at the same time and seniors are EXPENSIVE and you could also lose them within months of each other and that is double the heartache.

scarfish 04-28-2014 03:15 PM

interesting pionts zeo and shepmom. i never thought of that. i'm willing to take the hardship down the road to make these two puppies as happy as possible now.

scarfish 04-28-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5441986)
You are not supposed to get a dog for the purpose of entertaining your current dog, you are supposed to get another dog because YOU want another dog. Your current dog already had a friend (you) and your current dog should already have been getting entertained (you.)

I have never heard of the "3 year rule" between dogs but I am guessing they said that because your dog is not physically and mentally mature until 3 years of age. Some dogs are friendly with other dogs when they are young but then when they mature things change and they no longer tolerate other dogs. So if you have 2 dogs close in age when they mature they might start fighting. It's also not a good idea to get a puppy when you already have a young dog because they can take a couple of steps back in training or they can pick up bad habits from the new puppy. Also when the dogs get older you will have 2 seniors at the same time and seniors are EXPENSIVE and you could also lose them within months of each other and that is double the heartache.

i didn't get another dog 'cause I wanted one. the wife begged me for a few months for another GSD before i collapsed. now i can't imagine my life without little Rambo and is as much a blessing as Julie was.

are you suggesting we now put Rambo in a kill shelter? we have him now and he is a blessing. i guess time will tell if they become enemies but i highly doubt it. has this happened to you?

JakodaCD OA 04-28-2014 03:26 PM

I don't have a problem with getting dogs close in age, providing existing dogs are 'where' you want them.

My problem, is , when you end up with a couple of senior dogs who pass away within months of each other, I've gone thru this TWICE and now probably a 3rd time..it's devastating:(((

Masi just turned 6, I\'ve waited this long to possibly get another puppy,,I never ever want to go thru the pain of losing a couple of dogs within months of each other again, altho I most likely will be soon.