3 Year Rule For Getting a 2nd Puppy? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

everyone with negativity only seems to say what can happen, might happen or might have heard. i was hoping for more "we got 2 dogs a year apart and things were great" or "we got 2 dogs a year apart and they killed each other".
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why don’t you think your dog would be happy by itself? You’re placing a human emotion on a dog, you see wagging tails, lots of play, and so you think they’re happy. But what is happiness to a dog? My dog is never happier than when we’re at training and he gets to work. He’s also very happy when we’re on a hike, or playing tug. He’s also very happy to play with my other dog.
The problem is also that you’ve still got two puppies. One is an adolescent and the other one is really young. They’ve been together now for just a few weeks, and there haven’t been any issues. What happens when they start to mature? Develop different ideas of what’s alright and what isn’t? My boy was 3.5 when my other dog entered the picture, and she’s a rescue that was about 2.5 years old. They were definitely set in their ways, and it was actually wonderful because they are completely different dogs so they fit into our family really well without any fighting or battling for ranks. It also helps when the owners “know” what they’re doing.
Your definition of “obedient” might be completely different than what mine is or what other people’s is. Many people, even those with goals of trialing for titles will tell you their dogs aren’t at a level of obedience they’re happy with at a year old. So, saying a dog is done at a year old and now I can bring in a new one is quite the statement.
It sounds like the puppy has really attached to your older one. This will make obedience training a little more difficult as the relationship you’d probably prefer your dog to have with you, has actually formed with your other dog. This is another thing that people always warn about…but again, it’s based off of what most people on this forum expect from their dogs, some people could care less that the relationship is made with their other dog. From what I’ve seen with my dog is that at around 3 years old, playing with other dogs became not as important as it once was. So he isn’t as willing to initiate such a close relationship with another dog, therefore the second dog reads that and is more likely to try and form that relationship with me rather than the dog.
The reason 3 years is told to “novice” owners is that it’s hard to believe their first dog is that great in the first place. Then they want to get a second one, who will also probably just get a nice 8 week course in obedience and be “done.” Then 2 years later when both dogs are maturing, fighting for positioning starts because neither dog was ever properly trained. It’s these types of things that people give advice to prevent…not saying it’s not possible to have two young dogs, it’s just rare that it works out “successfully.”
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
i didn't get another dog 'cause I wanted one. the wife begged me for a few months for another GSD before i collapsed. now i can't imagine my life without little Rambo and is as much a blessing as Julie was.

are you suggesting we now put Rambo in a kill shelter? we have him now and he is a blessing. i guess time will tell if they become enemies but i highly doubt it. has this happened to you?
Um no? I never suggested putting your dog in a kill shelter, I never even suggested getting rid of your dog?

No it did not happen to me, not yet at least. My male GSD gets along great with other dogs, he liked them when he was younger and he still likes them as an adult thank goodness. My Dalmatian puppy is still young but he may not be so dog friendly in the future, you never know.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I don't have a problem with getting dogs close in age, providing existing dogs are 'where' you want them.

My problem, is , when you end up with a couple of senior dogs who pass away within months of each other, I've gone thru this TWICE and now probably a 3rd time..it's devastating((

Masi just turned 6, I've waited this long to possibly get another puppy,,I never ever want to go thru the pain of losing a couple of dogs within months of each other again, altho I most likely will be soon.
so pretty much everyone's personal experience so far with close in age dogs went well 'till they got old together. that is going to be hard but hopefully a long time away. this sucks!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I train with a family that got 2 males within 6 months of each other. Up until last month (before the older one turned a year old) everything was great. They were telling us how great of friends they are, how much they love to play, how great they get along. Last week they told us how they’re building them separate outdoor runs/kennels because they’ve started seeing issues developing between the two. Both dogs were taken to doggie day care 3 times a week and are well socialized dogs that get along fairly well with other dogs.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

well you live thru it and see just how hard it is..my first set of gsds, one died at 13 the second, 4 months later at 9...second set, one at 13 and the second one 8 months later at 13..I just put down my 13 year old aussie, and now I have a 14 year old aussie..I have holes in my heart that will never heal..

It may be a long time away, but when it comes, it's no picnic.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
interesting pionts zeo and shepmom. i never thought of that. i'm willing to take the hardship down the road to make these two puppies as happy as possible now.
I don't listen to my own advise. lol Mine are too close together again. After losing so many seniors so close together we are enjoying having some young dogs in the house.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Why don’t you think your dog would be happy by itself? You’re placing a human emotion on a dog, you see wagging tails, lots of play, and so you think they’re happy. But what is happiness to a dog? My dog is never happier than when we’re at training and he gets to work. He’s also very happy when we’re on a hike, or playing tug. He’s also very happy to play with my other dog.
The problem is also that you’ve still got two puppies. One is an adolescent and the other one is really young. They’ve been together now for just a few weeks, and there haven’t been any issues. What happens when they start to mature? Develop different ideas of what’s alright and what isn’t? My boy was 3.5 when my other dog entered the picture, and she’s a rescue that was about 2.5 years old. They were definitely set in their ways, and it was actually wonderful because they are completely different dogs so they fit into our family really well without any fighting or battling for ranks. It also helps when the owners “know” what they’re doing.
Your definition of “obedient” might be completely different than what mine is or what other people’s is. Many people, even those with goals of trialing for titles will tell you their dogs aren’t at a level of obedience they’re happy with at a year old. So, saying a dog is done at a year old and now I can bring in a new one is quite the statement.
It sounds like the puppy has really attached to your older one. This will make obedience training a little more difficult as the relationship you’d probably prefer your dog to have with you, has actually formed with your other dog. This is another thing that people always warn about…but again, it’s based off of what most people on this forum expect from their dogs, some people could care less that the relationship is made with their other dog. From what I’ve seen with my dog is that at around 3 years old, playing with other dogs became not as important as it once was. So he isn’t as willing to initiate such a close relationship with another dog, therefore the second dog reads that and is more likely to try and form that relationship with me rather than the dog.
The reason 3 years is told to “novice” owners is that it’s hard to believe their first dog is that great in the first place. Then they want to get a second one, who will also probably just get a nice 8 week course in obedience and be “done.” Then 2 years later when both dogs are maturing, fighting for positioning starts because neither dog was ever properly trained. It’s these types of things that people give advice to prevent…not saying it’s not possible to have two young dogs, it’s just rare that it works out “successfully.”
Yep pretty much as simple as that. As it happened I got my Boxer three years after I had my BullMastif/APBT/Lab mix he passed in 2010 and I lost my Boxer in 2013. So yeah it happens.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I train with a family that got 2 males within 6 months of each other. Up until last month (before the older one turned a year old) everything was great. They were telling us how great of friends they are, how much they love to play, how great they get along. Last week they told us how they’re building them separate outdoor runs/kennels because they’ve started seeing issues developing between the two. Both dogs were taken to doggie day care 3 times a week and are well socialized dogs that get along fairly well with other dogs.
do you think it's at all possible is was a male on male dominance issue? we were worried about that. that's the reason why we got a female first then a male.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
do you think it's all att possible is was a male on male dominance issue? we were worried about that. that's the reason why we got a female first then a male.
You need to check in with them when the dogs both reach 18 to 24 months old. That's when you will know how good a job they've done.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.