Never had a potty training problem until my GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never had a potty training problem until my GSD

I am the proud mama of Phoenix she's about 19 weeks old. At around 12 weeks she was just about house broken she wouldn't go until 6am when I took her out. I was feeding her Science Diet and my Vet suggested I try Blue Buffalo since being put on it she now poops 3 TIMES at 4am!! Then she promptly wakes me up so I can clean it. I say this because she follows me and sits patiently while I clean every pile.

My husband is getting irritated especially since were moving to our new home with 2 acres and it has carpeting in the living room and bedrooms. If I leave the balcony door open(we live on the 1st floor) she will go on there but who wants to sleep with that open when anyone can walk in right?

Is it the food? Do I need to get up at 4am? and when I go get up I put my shoes on she does a spin and then squats going crazy here. IN all the pets i've had I never had this problem I also never had a breed that challenged me everyday I love it but not the potty problems. Any Advice???
Phoenix14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

How quickly did you transition over to the new food? That can tear up the stomach of a lot of dogs. Also, some dogs don't tolerate BB...it's a richer food than some tummies are used to. My pup was on it for a while and did fine. I have since switched to Fromm and have been very happy with it. I would go with a bland diet for a few days and then slowly transition over to kibble. There have been several posts about it. You might do a search and see what info you can find.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I mix Science Diet 'adult' food with about 40% quality puppy food, 5 month old. Just trying not to have to much protein, as suggested by some I know.

To the potty training. Take her out as often as possible, trade off if you & spouse have different sleep/work schedules. When you take the dog out after some crate time, take her outside immediately. Give her a few minutes to brew it up. Unless the dog is laying quietly inside, I'd give her some outside time every 45 min or so. Stay out with her for awhile and give praise as called for.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I sent you a PM
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Remember......old habits die hard.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

It was a slow transition about a month and she is never on time with her bowel movements I can take her out every 45 she will pee outside no problem. I was stubborn enough that I kept her outside for an hour until she finally pooped but she still did the 5am present.

I am really hoping this is a habit that can be broken my husband has threatened that if it doesn't get fixed she will be an outside dog and I couldn't deal with that. She's like my second kid even with all the land sharking.

We currently live in Japan and will be moving stateside in July outside in the summer in TX is not an option esp. since my girl is a longhaired gsd
Phoenix14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Any new news on how this is going?
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.