German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   blk changing color (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/442385-blk-changing-color.html)

Safehorses 04-24-2014 10:13 AM

blk changing color

After years of wanting a black german shepherd, i got one when she was 8 weeks. A few weeks after I got her I noticed a few white hairs, about a third way down her tail. At first I thought she had gotten something on it, but its her hair.
She is now 15 weeks. Yesterday while brushing her I noticed white or very light tan hairs on her back, in front of her hip area.
Her father is solid black and her mom is black & tan.
Can she keep changing color?

Sunflowers 04-24-2014 10:20 AM

179 Attachment(s)
They keep changing color until they are mature, and even after that.

Sarah~ 04-24-2014 10:29 AM

Eko is 2 years old and he is still changing :)

carmspack 04-24-2014 10:40 AM

I think you may have a very dark black and tan pup. When born the black and tans can appear to be black. Generally the lighter they are , the more tan points , the lighter they will be as adults . Lighter meaning the ratio of tan to black , not necessarily meaning the pigment of the tan will be lighter.
Does the dam have a black recessive factor?
Even though the sire is black in order for the pups to be solid black the female would need to contribute a black factor .

This change of colour could continue well into the dogs second shed of coat -- into adult hood , perhaps 18 months to 2 years. The biggest change would be the puppy coats shed as adult hair comes in. After a year the changes would be minor.

Post a picture and a pedigree and I am sure some experienced people could give a guestimate of the pups future appearance.

onyx'girl 04-24-2014 10:41 AM

I'd like to see photo's....someone I train with has a black GSD and he's slowly looking more like a bicolor as he ages(barely 2 now) The owner doesn't have the pedigree, so we are all guessing whether the dog is a bicolor or a black with bleed thru. I'd be more inclined to say bleed thru because bi's aren't very common.

SunCzarina 04-24-2014 12:04 PM

I have a black female, she comes from a litter of all blacks and her breeder has several black dogs in her program. Her dam is all black and the sire is a very dark bi color, all black except some tan speckling on his legs.

My girl has tan between her toes and some random white fur on the inside of her back legs and on the underside of her tail. When she was very young, my male closed her little bitey mouth so for a long time she had 2 white slashes across her nose.

The breeder said sometimes a deep cut will come back white on a black dog. With seasonal molting, the white on her nose is fading but it's moving over to her legs I guess.

Safehorses 04-24-2014 12:10 PM

I have her litter certificate but it doesn't have coat colors shown on it. i'll try to research for the colors. I'll also try to get pictures that show the colors in her coat.

Safehorses 04-24-2014 12:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, I tried to get a few pictures. She has a hard time sitting still. In the sun I can see the light hairs all the way up her back, when I lift her hair. She does have light hairs between her pads now also.

Tim&Marth 04-24-2014 12:35 PM

Olivia experienced the same event, beginning as solid black. Around 7 months, hew paws between her fingers began to turn light tan. Then her hind legs began to sport some tan hairs. Now it looks like she has paint splatter on her legs and dirt between her paws.

Still an angel no matter what color she ends up

gsdheeler 04-24-2014 01:51 PM

What a cutie, changing color is normal in pups.