German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Is it normal for a puppy to breath fast? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/440945-normal-puppy-breath-fast.html)

FuzzButtMum 04-21-2014 08:05 AM

Is it normal for a puppy to breath fast?

Ever since Finnick came home, I've noticed he breaths very fast...especially when he sleeps?

Is this normal? I know their lungs are rapidly growing, so is that why?

onyx'girl 04-21-2014 08:29 AM

Yes they do have rapid breathing when sleeping. Hiccups are common in pups too, but seldom do you see older dogs get them.
Your Finnick shares the same whelpdate as Karlo(Karlo turned 5 this March though!)

igottabecrazy 04-21-2014 08:55 AM

Indie had very rapid breathing up until 8 or 9 months of age - and she was constantly panting. When I first noticed it, I was really worried. She acted completely normal, so I kind of pushed it aside in my mind. At 13 months, everything is fine.

FuzzButtMum 04-21-2014 09:11 AM

Oh, thank goodness for that :) Yep, he has the hiccups ALL the time....it makes me chuckle.
Aww, I love the name Karlo!

Diesel7602 04-21-2014 02:56 PM

perseus breathed really fast when he sleeps. I was kinda worried too. Tell I looked it up, and it's normal for puppies to breath fast especially when sleeping. there heart rate is a lot faster too. When they sleep they are growing, growing fast. =)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SuperG 04-21-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5407369)
Yes they do have rapid breathing when sleeping. Hiccups are common in pups too, but seldom do you see older dogs get them.
Your Finnick shares the same whelpdate as Karlo(Karlo turned 5 this March though!)

Glad to read the "hiccups" mention.....my pup had the hiccups too often it seemed like....but as you stated...."but seldom do you see older dogs get them."...is spot on. My girl hasn't had a hiccup in months.

Fuzzbuttmum...my pups over the decades were fast breathers as well.

SuperG

FuzzButtMum 04-22-2014 07:26 AM

Phew! Thanks guys :)

He breaths so fast sometimes, it looks like he's hyperventilating lol

carrieincolorado 04-22-2014 11:48 AM

Once Chevelle kept me up all night laying on my bed panting... panting... omg go to sleep. She has recently decided she likes to sleep in the bathtub. She doesn't pant as much at night anymore, but she still gets hiccups. :)

rumhelka 04-22-2014 12:17 PM

I don't know why they breath so fast (my puppy did it as well). But that's normal. Even now, being three years old, she can breath fast when she's anxious.

SoCal Rebell 04-22-2014 06:23 PM

It concerned me so much 20 years ago I took him to the vet, as everyone said the vet said it was normal for a pup.