German Shepherds Forum banner

Hurt Toe?

635 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 ·
On Tuesday Raven got her toes caught in a door. She obviously was in pain afterwards and limping for the remainder of the day but went to puppy class that night and was running playing, and almost no limp (once she kind of limped but other than that none), the following day she seemed to be over it, and I haven't caught her limping on it since. She's putting weight down, and I'm able to move the one toe without it seeming to bother her. The only time she shoes discomfort is when I squeeze her whole paw (gently of course, not overdoing it), and there does seem to be a small amount of swelling. Opinions on whether anyone thinks it's broken, or do you think it's just some soft tissue injury that needs time to heal completely. We have an appointment booked for this coming Wednesday for puppy shots, do you think we should go in before that? Although the vets aren't open this weekend anyway with it being Easter. Can a vet really do much for a broken toe anyway? I know in humans it's normally just taped to the adjacent toe and left to heal...

#2 ·
I'd just mention it when you go in. I took Tuke in and had it xrayed, she had stress fractures on her two middle toes, if I remember correctly. They gave us rymidayl for the inflammation, but she acted fine in short order so we didn't use much. Just keep her activities restricted, no jumping and what not until your vet visit.

#3 ·
I agree with Nigel. Keep and eye on it and her activity level... in the sense if she starts not acting like herself. I say this because I noticed Titan limping one day.. thought to keep an eye on it, and the next day I had to take him to the vets because he was severely lethargic.. turns out he broke his toe and it caused a 104 fever.. gave us some stuff but was all good after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.