German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Help new gsd with white spot !!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/439801-help-new-gsd-white-spot.html)

Saber_Diego 04-18-2014 06:40 AM

Help new gsd with white spot !!!

Hi, im buying a new gsd puppy from a reliable breeder, the female dog is almost 50 days now but she has two things I noticed that are making me worry abt, first she has a white spot on her chest right between the front legs and the second is she only has 4 fingers ( idk what their called in dogs) in rear back legs
Besides that she looks so beautiful and bone structure is perfect. Should I buy it? Its so expensive compared to other puppies I saw so far ( her grandfather is va1 or smthn like that cant remember exactly what the breeder said)

Blitzkrieg1 04-18-2014 06:46 AM

White spots can be fixed with spray paint.

As for whether you should buy the dog ask yourself:

What do I want to do with the dog?

Is the breeder health testing and titling the breeding stock?

What is the breeders PROVEN reputation?

Is there a health and temperment guarentee?

The answers to those questions will be the answer to your thread.

Fyi: The grandfather being a VA Dog means nothing, what is going on in all the generations from the sire/dam onwards. Many breeders love to rest on the laurels of dogs they had nothing to do with several generations back be it show or working titles.

sourdough44 04-18-2014 07:34 AM

Our puppy has a white spot on her chest, seems rather normal. She is more from the 'show/ American' line.

middleofnowhere 04-18-2014 11:39 AM

Why worry about a white spot on her chest? My pup had a big one. It is now down to a very refined skunk stripe. But her black face is getting tan cheek spots and she's getting a light "beard" under her jaw on her neck. One of the fun things about puppies is how their color changes.
Four toes are pretty much the norm - the fifth would be the dew claw and it is best if you don't have dew claws on the rear legs.

Saber_Diego 04-18-2014 11:47 AM

Ok but does the white spot means its not pure bread or up in her line some sort of mix occured? Will it affect her scores if I showed her? Should I be concerned?

LaRen616 04-18-2014 11:51 AM

Purebred GSDs do sometimes have white spots.

Dainerra 04-18-2014 12:15 PM

it depends on the size of the white spot and the judge. they are "allowed but not desirable"
However, a dog with a small amount of white on the chest isn't going to lose if it is superior in all other ways.

Also, many pups will outgrow their white spot if it is small

Galathiel 04-18-2014 12:21 PM

My black pup had a small white spot on his chest. It went away when his adult coat came in.

Saber_Diego 04-18-2014 12:36 PM

The parents dont have any white spots in them could her white spot still stay on her when she grows?

Cunningham GSDs 04-18-2014 01:48 PM

Small white spots on the chest and even a tiny bit of white on the toes is normal. A lot of my pups are born with a little splash of white. In every single pup, that I have had the pleasure of keeping in contact with, the white all disappears as the puppy matures. Nothing to worry about.