6 weeks seems too early? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6 weeks seems too early?

Hi all,
First post but have been reading for a while. I'm military stationed in Minot, North Dakota... not many breeders around so we've been looking for a GSD for a while. (Don't want to adopt in the winter so we're not doing potty training in -50 degree weather)

My question is we found a litter of AKC pups. I contacted the breeder to see if we could go look, talk to them, possibly pick one out, put a deposit, and come back when they're ready... they typical suggestions that have been given.

The breeder said they are ready to go now and have been weaned from their mother and are eating and drinking on their own.

Everything I've researched has said 8-10 weeks, 8 is the fear imprinting, mom and brothers and sisters help with the biting, possibly more stable emotionally the longer they are with the litter, etc.

Bottom line is what do you think about a 6 week pup? On one hand I wonder if the sins of the breeder should hurt the puppy. We've got a great family that would welcome the puppy with open arms and know that a GSD is right for us.

On the other hand, are there potential problems/issues in the long run with a 6 wk puppy? I almost feel like it would be a rescue even though they are charging AKC prices for it. Should I say no to the breeder and wait another 6-8 mos to see if another litter comes available from another breeder within a 4 or 5 hour drive?

Thanks for any advice and opinions.
Markes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

AKC registration doesn't guarantee a good breeder/breeding. I would not buy from a breeder moving 6 week old puppies.
SAY NO to that breeder!!! Do a bit more research...and don't limit yourself to your area. There are many good breeders that will fly pups easily.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wouldn't trust a breeder placing 6 wk old pups. There are pups that do well when placed at 6 wks but for the many that don't there is no going back. It's just a very, very bad idea.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Too early. It sounds like the breeder thinks they are ready to go because they are weaned? That concerns me more than a puppy going home at 6 weeks. It's not just about being weaned and eating solid food. They learn a lot from their littermates and should not be removed and sold just out of convenience.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

AKC means zero, it means that they sent papers and paid the AKC a fee.

Good for you for doing your homework and following your gut to pass on this so-called breeder.
So many people give their money to horrible breeders and say they "rescued" the puppy. I don't understand this mindset. To me, it is keeping a bad business going.

I recommend reading this forum thoroughly on how to find a breeder who deserves to be supported.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 04-17-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. I hadn't much considered flying a pup in from a breeder. Does anyone have experience with pups this way? I had thought that the flying aspect could be traumatizing.
Markes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

check here for flying advice

German Shepherd Dog Forums - Search Results

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.