German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (
-   General Puppy Stuff (
-   -   Advice For A Novice (

Elsa's Keeper 04-16-2014 06:06 AM

Advice For A Novice
1 Attachment(s)
So, 8 hours ago, I officially became the owner of a 8 week old GSD female. I have never owned a GSD. My family did have dogs, from Chow Mix, Rottie Mix,
APBT, and now a Yorkie. But now that I live on my own it's just me an Elsa.

So any advice I can get in training, teaching, house breaking, best choice dog food(Blue Buffalo Currently), socialization, expectations I should achieve at this age, and so forth.

Thank you for any and all replies.

Mary Beth 04-16-2014 09:24 PM

:wub: Elsa is so pretty. The Puppy Place has lots of great advice. I would also recommend The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete. For food, I would give Solid Gold Wolfcub Enjoy your pup!

FuzzButtMum 04-20-2014 12:01 PM

Oh my gosh, Elsa is beautiful!
I too bought my first ever GSD home 2 weeks ago, he's now 10 weeks old. We're doing very well with training etc, he's a litle rascal but he's my perfect little rascal :)

Just like any puppy, take things slowly....don't be disheartened when you have bad days (they are inevitable), enjoy this time before he turns into carpet shark :P

Lots and lots and LOTS of toys, otherwise she might become destructive (my boy gets bored very easily and starts to nip and get a bit cheeky).

Good luck, let us know how you're getting on! x

sourdough44 04-21-2014 06:08 AM

Hey, she sure looks familiar. I had to make sure 'Mya' was here with me, that she didn't sneak off to GA.

Give her time & mold her into the dog you want her to become.

K9POPPY 04-21-2014 08:07 AM

Beautiful puppy! I recommend "Puppies, 8 weeks and Up",by Ed Frawley, purchase @ Enjoy your new GSD!!!!! Bob

SunCzarina 04-21-2014 09:50 AM

First, never forget that you are in charge. Have patience and love her but always be consistent - never let her get away with anything.

From 6 months to a year are very trying times. Consistency and patience.

Crate training is a must! Even if she's a good puppy. Again 6 months +, wacky times when if you didn't crate train her, you'll wish you did because she ate a couch or something.

Train train train. Get her in classes as soon as you can.

Wet frozen washclothes are your friend...
Have fun, enjoy the ride!

Lykoz 12-21-2014 08:20 PM

22 Attachment(s)
For the best systematic/complete advice available online check out His online University is very well structured and is easy to know where to begin...

Really the service leerburg provides is unparalleled to anybody in the industry for new pet owners or trainers who want to work with their dogs, and manage them correctly.

Frawley's basic obedience Course is amazing. systematic, through and complete.
For an overall view on how to manage a new dog well its a must watch.

He also has a class by Forrest Micke on Engagement.. I suggest you watch that.
I think every new pet dog owner needs to watch Forrest Micke's lectures on engagement.

Debanneball 12-21-2014 08:31 PM

Elsa is adorable! My advice is to enjoy the puppy days, one day soon you will wake up, she will be grown up! Take her to obedience, socialize her, have fun too! Enjoy, and take lots of pictures! :D

martemchik 12-21-2014 08:54 PM

21 Attachment(s)
The "puppy" is now 10 months old and the OP hasn't come back to post since their first post in April. I wouldn't worry about commenting too much.

Debanneball 12-21-2014 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by martemchik (Post 6355009)
The "puppy" is now 10 months old and the OP hasn't come back to post since their first post in April. I wouldn't worry about commenting too much.

Oops, silly me.....