12wk old not relly interested in playing. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 12wk old not relly interested in playing.

Not sure if anyone has this problem with their pup but she barely plays. She would rather explore the yard looking for anything to put in her mouth or relax in the shade. At this point to me she has 1% toy drive.

I have tons of toys, water bottles, tennis balls. I toss them, swing them by her..have her chase me with them. But no desire ... What Michael Ellis video would help me the most?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
TheDakotaShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Dog turns four months old tomorrow and she just started playing with toys yesterday. I couldn't get her to play at all!! I posted about it as well lots of people told me that that happens sometimes. She will start playing soon.
KHLOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHLOE View Post
My Dog turns four months old tomorrow and she just started playing with toys yesterday. I couldn't get her to play at all!! I posted about it as well lots of people told me that that happens sometimes. She will start playing soon.
Ok so its not so uncommon. Were you running around the yard/house playing fetch with yourself also? Neighbors probably think I'm crazy.

Did your pup just explore also?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah my dog showed little to know interest in me or the toy I had in my hand I would just stand in my yard an throw her toys she would just look at me look at the toy and then walk off...leaving me to go pick it up. Really is sad because I so badly want to play with her but yesterday she played all day with me there was a few times where she didn't go get the ball I would have to but for the most part I think she has finally realized that it is fun to play with me! hahaha Just keep bothering you pup trying to get them interested it she will hopefully finally get into it. My dog is a girl too maybe a girl thing IDK. But yeah I read it is common so don't worry to much
KHLOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I tried fetching for my first shepherd....I'm thinking now, that dog must have been thinking.." hmmmmmm...what's in it for me"

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not just a girl thing. My male dog was almost 6 months when he found his toy drive. Now he falls asleep with a toy in his mouth. Its play, play, play. Some dogs are just slower than others to develop that drive. Give your pup a little time. Soon, you'll be begging them to put that ball down. seriously, I have to hide out in the bathroom sometimes just to get a break
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Finnick is the exact same! He's 10 weeks old, so is still only a baby...but he absolutely LOVES playing in our back yard. I find myself playing fetch on my own because he is more interested in bombing around the grass and behind the shrubs...and destroying the garden broom! I bet you anything in time his interest in toys will come there is a whole world (or yard) for him to explore hehe

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Chloe & Princess the Kitties
Fred & George the Ferrets
FuzzButtMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHLOE View Post
Yeah my dog showed little to know interest in me or the toy I had in my hand I would just stand in my yard an throw her toys she would just look at me look at the toy and then walk off...leaving me to go pick it up. Really is sad because I so badly want to play with her but yesterday she played all day with me there was a few times where she didn't go get the ball I would have to but for the most part I think she has finally realized that it is fun to play with me! hahaha Just keep bothering you pup trying to get them interested it she will hopefully finally get into it. My dog is a girl too maybe a girl thing IDK. But yeah I read it is common so don't worry to much

Sounds like we have the same dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I tried fetching for my first shepherd....I'm thinking now, that dog must have been thinking.." hmmmmmm...what's in it for me"

SuperG
Duh their health! (and mine) ...they should know that LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
Not just a girl thing. My male dog was almost 6 months when he found his toy drive. Now he falls asleep with a toy in his mouth. Its play, play, play. Some dogs are just slower than others to develop that drive. Give your pup a little time. Soon, you'll be begging them to put that ball down. seriously, I have to hide out in the bathroom sometimes just to get a break

Hand me cracking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzButtMum View Post
Finnick is the exact same! He's 10 weeks old, so is still only a baby...but he absolutely LOVES playing in our back yard. I find myself playing fetch on my own because he is more interested in bombing around the grass and behind the shrubs...and destroying the garden broom! I bet you anything in time his interest in toys will come there is a whole world (or yard) for him to explore hehe
Does he eat as much grass?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.