Please HELP, 3 month old Puppy does NOT sleep - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I ended up having to move my crate to my computer room. The first night we got no sleep whatsoever. I still set the alarm and got up 2 or 3 times just in case he needed to go outside, but otherwise ignored the rest of the noises. He never had an accident and after about 3 days, he no longer made a fuss. He actually only needed to potty around 4 am so I eventually cut out the earlier times I was getting up.
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

There is always the option of using a tie-down instead of a crate.

This is the way Guide Dog pups are trained and we have have used one for every puppy we've had until Zazzle. We still use a tie-down when we need some peace in the front room.

This is Miss Molly on her tie-down when she was a puppy, it's in our bedroom and she was on it all night. No crying.

We decided on a crate this time though.

http://www.guidedogs.com/site/DocSer...ing-manual.pdf
Tiedown - $7.99 : Guide Dogs for the Blind
Shadow GSD 1993-2005
Kazar GSD 1999-2010
Maybelline Feral 2005
Miss Molly GSD 2011-2014
Zazzle! GSD 2014
warpwr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Funny, in preparing for Jazz' arrival, we had the crate all set up in the bedroom. But the day before we picked her up, we rethought it and decided to move it into the kitchen as this is where all the activity happens and has the laminate floors and is easiest to cordon off with baby gate and a sliding door. Best decision we made. She can go in/out of her crate at will during the day and easily crated with the gate closed when she needs a time out, are having our supper and/or when we go to bed. She settled in quite well, I can hear her during the night if she needs out ... it's a different whine and can ignore her when it's the "I want to play" whine. She has never had an accident in her crate to date. She is now 4 months old. All of which to say ... move the crate to another room, one where she can still see the activities of the household during the day and won't disturb you during the night. Eventually, she'll have the run of the house and can sleep wherever she chooses .. we're just nowhere nears that level of freedom yet.
graciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Why not try a night without closing the crate door? Shut your bedroom door, close all the closets, make it puppy proof, leave the crate in your room with the door open and see what happens. You may want to leave a small bed on the floor, next to your bed and you can reach down and pet him. Set your alarm to wake up and take him out for a pee in the middle of the night. Probably not the best advice, but I know what its like to be sleep deprived.

When our first dog was about 4 months old, she started doing a similar behavior in her crate, we couldn't sleep either so we let her out and she never peed or bothered us or destroyed anything. It was like she was telling us she was ready to be on her own.
She grew to be a very good dog in every way.
Thank you for the advice, I have "puppy proofed" our bedroom and we are going to try this tonight, wish us luck haha
woogyboogy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Maybe gate off a section near your bed, so he's not "crated per say?" he also jsut might like seeing you.. the wire crate may be enough.

When I had my girl, I had a plastic crate, and in order forher to stop crying, I had to be in physical sight of her. The first few nights I even draped my hand in the front of the crate to comfort and she would fall asleep.. but if I was out of sight she would scream!
We are going to try this tonight. I hope it works!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 View Post
Maybe you're taking the water away too early and he's thirsty? When Zoe was 12 weeks she needed water until bedtime around 9pm and I'd let her out around 11pm and then she'd sleep until morning. If I noticed she didn't drink a lot of water she would always wake up crying in the middle of the night and run right to her water bowl.
We also used a larger wire crate with a blanket over the top of it. If he's doing okay making it out to potty then maybe he's ready for more room?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
This is really good advice that we never thought about. We will leave the water out till 9 and see how it goes. Thank you so much!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
And that's why he keeps doing it, because it works for him. Can you use a baby gate and section off the very end of your bed? That's how I solved the problem.
We are going to try this tonight! Also we are going to try to be more firm on letting him out when he barks, but its very hard because he would literally bark/howl ALL night.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogyboogy View Post
Thank you for the advice, I have "puppy proofed" our bedroom and we are going to try this tonight, wish us luck haha
Good Luck and sweet dreams.

Hope it's OK if your dog sleeps on your bed if that is what makes everyone rested, many people don't want this. Our first dog would come up early in the morning. At first it irritated my husband but after losing her to cancer, my husband really missed this and wished our current dog who is 4 yrs old would sleep on our bed, but she won't. He's really bummed. She sleeps in the middle of the upstairs hallway so she has an eye on all bedroom doors and to see what may come up the stairs. So you never know how it will end up.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If mine are going to incessantly whine or bark all night, they will sleep in another room or in a crate in the car. I never let mine sleep out of their crates as puppies.
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
I can think of a couple of things.

You mentioned that your dog gets plenty of exercise. May I ask how much you think is "plenty"? I have found that people have widely different viewpoints on what is "plenty" of exercise.

Whatever the level of exercise, I suggest you double or triple it for a couple of days. If he likes fetch, keep throwing until his tongue is hanging--being careful not to overheat him or cause injury. Wear him out really, really well. See if he sleeps better after been completely and totally exhausted.

Also, is it possible he is getting rewarded for the noise he is making in the crate? Even negative attention like scolding can be rewarding enough for the dog to keep on doing it. I suggest covering the crate with a blanket, totally ignoring the barking and only letting him out when he is calm and quiet.

Best of luck and hope all of you can sleep better soon,

Michael
Thank you for the response, we could definitely exercise him more than what we do now that you bring that up, but sometimes he will only want to play for 5-10 minutes and then he will sleep for 1-2 hours. I have tried throwing tennis balls, tennis balls with squeakers, Kong's, Kong's with ropes, medium sized soccer balls, frisbees, etc, and he will only play for 5-10 minutes. We usually take him on 2-3 1/2-3/4 mile walks per day. He is very difficult to motivate, and living in Florida with the heat doesn't help either.

Also we feed him 1 cup of Blue Buffalo 3 times a day, 7:30am (1 cup), 12:30pm (1 cup), and 5:30 (1 cup). He will literally eat it within 2 minutes.

As far as rewarding him when he does something bad we are pretty clear on that and only reward him when he does what we want him to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.