German Shepherds Forum banner

My 1 1/2 yr old male with 2 month pup.. raising two males

689 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mydogs 
#1 ·
Was wondering on typical behavior regarding a 1 1/2 yr old male with a 2 month...

My boy Oz gets rough.. he will knock him over with his snout, grab him by the neck and pin him VERY GENTLY.. or nibble on his legs and knock him under his feet.

Is he teaching, and moulding him with this type of behavior and being a father figure? And also establishing his pecking order and letting him know hes the boss at the same time?

He is careful, especially watches his footing,a but just wants to constantly play with him and even tries to wake him out of his naps.

Its pretty cute watching him play..

Also, any tips on moulding them together.

I make them drink water out of the same bowl, and share food and toys so far, no problems.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds a little over the top. When older dogs "play" with my pup like that, I leave. This may happen: it teaches your older dog to bully and your younger dog to get defensive when he gets older. Is your puppy intimidated by the older dog or does he easily bounce back from these "training sessions"?
By the way, dogs do not bond by sharing toys, food or water. How do you actually "make them" do that? Where did you learn these techniques?
According to the dog world: if you have a toy it is yours, if you leave it alone it is his.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.