My 1 1/2 yr old male with 2 month pup.. raising two males - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My 1 1/2 yr old male with 2 month pup.. raising two males

Was wondering on typical behavior regarding a 1 1/2 yr old male with a 2 month...

My boy Oz gets rough.. he will knock him over with his snout, grab him by the neck and pin him VERY GENTLY.. or nibble on his legs and knock him under his feet.

Is he teaching, and moulding him with this type of behavior and being a father figure? And also establishing his pecking order and letting him know hes the boss at the same time?

He is careful, especially watches his footing,a but just wants to constantly play with him and even tries to wake him out of his naps.

Its pretty cute watching him play..

Also, any tips on moulding them together.

I make them drink water out of the same bowl, and share food and toys so far, no problems.

Cheers
ozmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo View Post
Was wondering on typical behavior regarding a 1 1/2 yr old male with a 2 month...

My boy Oz gets rough.. he will knock him over with his snout, grab him by the neck and pin him VERY GENTLY.. or nibble on his legs and knock him under his feet.

Is he teaching, and moulding him with this type of behavior and being a father figure? And also establishing his pecking order and letting him know hes the boss at the same time?

He is careful, especially watches his footing,a but just wants to constantly play with him and even tries to wake him out of his naps.

Its pretty cute watching him play..

Also, any tips on moulding them together.

I make them drink water out of the same bowl, and share food and toys so far, no problems.

Cheers
It sounds a little over the top. When older dogs "play" with my pup like that, I leave. This may happen: it teaches your older dog to bully and your younger dog to get defensive when he gets older. Is your puppy intimidated by the older dog or does he easily bounce back from these "training sessions"?
By the way, dogs do not bond by sharing toys, food or water. How do you actually "make them" do that? Where did you learn these techniques?
According to the dog world: if you have a toy it is yours, if you leave it alone it is his.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default My 1 1/2 yr old male with 2 month pup.. raising two males

All normal it's how they communicate.
My dogs do it all day long as long as the pup is not scared and comes back for more it's all good. Some people separate their dogs when they do this I can't understand why. Let them be dogs
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by mydogs; 04-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.