reaction to anesthetic? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
njk

Default reaction to anesthetic?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this before. We took our pup in today to be spayed and we got a call from the Vet a few hours later saying she had a reaction to the anesthesia. Basically her heart rate went up and breathing became laboured so they didn't go ahead with the surgery. She said (via the Vet nurse) she would try again with a different anesthetic in 10 days but will do tests the day before. It's made me quite nervous now. My partner was angry that the Vet didn't see us herself when we came by as we had questions, so we're still not understanding what it all means. I'm reading info online blaming the Vet for these things, saying it's typically something they've done wrong. She's the only Vet we have as we live rural. Hoping others may have some personal experiences with something like this? I'm nervous about sending Zelda back next week.
njk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, unfortunately Mikko went into cardiac arrest 2 1/2 weeks ago while he was under anesthesia for a MRI. They revived him and he has been healthy since then. Went back last week to see a cardiologist to check his heart - which is perfect. So, no real reason for the incident. I am starting to wonder if there is a bad batch of one of the drugs or something, if that makes sense. I've heard of several problems lately, including an old friend of mine who died. Maybe I'm just more aware now that it happened to us.

I would have an EKG for her and get her heart checked.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Clumber spaniel had a reaction to the anesthetic during her spay...she was 6 months on the dot....they said her heart stopped...they revived her then did and EKG and other tests to makes sure she didn't have an on going heart issue. She didn't....she lived a nice healthy life....she was never put under again. This was in German way back in 2002.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get the pre-testing done for sure and request a meeting with the vet beforehand to discuss options, I think that will help ease your worries.

Personally I've gone through surgery twice under GA and reacted badly both times, last time I stopped breathing and they had to intubate and bring me back. Sometimes you just react regardless which unfortunately seems to be my case. No rhyme or reason and pretesting was fine. So I'm a serious worrywart when it comes to surgery but thankfully both of mine have come through with flying colours and no complications

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

What tests? "She said (via the Vet nurse) she would try again with a different anesthetic in 10 days but will do tests the day before."

Did she have blood work done before?

One thing I would do, which will create a delay beyond a week, is to have her MDR1 tested: busteralert.org and http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/drugs.aspx I actually didn't have my herding breed supermix tested, we are just going to assume he's mutant and have avoided meds on the WSU list.

I would also ask about a bleeding time test.

Honestly, I am fairly rural too, but might consider, after such a bad reaction, looking to see where my nearest place with an in-room anesthesiologist would be and check into that, and would be looking into all the testing people have mentioned.

Good though that they caught it and were monitoring well enough to do so!

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
SDG

Heart rate going up is not as troubling to me as "labored breathing". I would ask for tests NOW, not the day before surgery. Remember, there is no rush to get her spayed. Waiting another month or more until you find out exactly what happened would give more peace of mind.

There is a condition in humans called Malignant Hyperthermia where they cannot metabolize certain anesthetic agents. This is hereditary and can also occur in dogs. It is so serious in humans that operating room staff have regular drills covering what to do in the event of this emergency.

I think you need more information before exposing her to anesthesia again. Please keep us posted...and you have all my best wishes for the health of your girl.

Because when I see a Horse cantering
for the pure joy of it, or a Dog working
with their beloved person, I think to myself,
"Look what God did".
SDG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

First reaction is to always blame the vet for everything.

Sometimes an animal just reacts to anesthetic, as do people. Find out what they used what the next choice will be and what tests they want to run and why.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can't say the vet did anything wrong. Could have just been her body. There is always a risk with anesthesia.

I reacted to anesthetic myself, scared the dickens out of my doctors.

It is too early to spay her anyway, she is only 5 months old.

Health Issues Linked to Spaying and Neutering Dogs
Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, there are always risks with any surgery. Preop tests can help. I agree, I would NOT rush another surgery, especially in the time frame you mentioned. Do not feel the need to rush the spay- IMHO, Bob
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post

It is too early to spay her anyway, she is only 5 months old.

Health Issues Linked to Spaying and Neutering Dogs
We have not been to the OP's house, know how they manage their dog, and then how their neighbors in the rural area in which they live manage theirs. Some people are comfortable making a choice to spay or neuter earlier than others and have reasons to do so. They could potentially live someplace like Hazzard, KY where they put down more dogs in a day than a similar population sized place in NYS does in a year - partly because of wide roaming intact animals. Regardless, some think there are good reasons to do so and not as definitive as the statement above would lead you to believe.

Some other information here - pediatric (which 5 months I believe is outside that range) Early Spay & Neuter

I am always surprised when I see linking to the Mercola site (I see it a lot here). I would think that it would be indicative of a less than science based point of view as it's under that site's umbrella. But whatever, people reading can evaluate.

I do agree that there is time - there is no other way to do it - to get the needed information to make this a safe procedure.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.