German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Female GSD - young male (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/437377-female-gsd-young-male.html)

dave3003102 04-13-2014 05:57 AM

Female GSD - young male
 
Hello friends, I was thinking to get a female for him, but not now after some months or so, lets say in month of October or November 2014 as I have some spacing and other personal issues. He is now 4 month old and that time (November) he will be 10 months. Will it be good to introduce a young female pup to him? Will he get along with her? I know every dog is different but still what happens normally and if it is not then when should I get a new female pup for him? our advice would be greatly GREATLY, appreciated.
Regards Dave.

Gretchen 04-13-2014 10:57 AM

At about 9-10 months your dog will be entering the adolescent stage and it is often a very challenging time. You will need to increase your training and attention to your male for about 6 months. Knowing that, if you thing you have the time and energy to handle both dogs, then I think adding a female would be fine.

My neighbors have 2 Huskies. When the male was 14 months they got a female for him from the same breeder and they get along very well, play all the time together.

MaggieRoseLee 04-13-2014 01:13 PM

I'd NEVER have 2 puppies at the same time!!! And my GSD's are 'puppies' until about 3 yrs old!

Much better to work on one at a time to make it perfect before adding more confusion to the mix. Costwise too, good to just pay for food, vet bills, socialization and dog classes for one.......... then save up and prepare for the next. 5 year split is perfect for me.

I never get a 'new' dog for my older dogs. Frankly, my dogs seem to enjoy having me all to themselves for as long as that lasts. Because a NEW puppy always is a massive time sucker and I can in no way spend the same time with the older dogs.

Most of the best breeders won't sell another puppy to us if we have a younger dog already cause they know it's not fair to either dog.... so you may also consider that and wait a few years.

Keep in mind the 'selfish' part of this 10 yrs or so down the line when you would have 2 senior dogs. That can be massively expensive with senior dog issues at the vets. Plus the emotional toll on us when one or both pass within close space of time.

I've had a 4 - 5 yr split always between my dogs and it's worked out for me AND the dogs.

dave3003102 04-13-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee (Post 5368497)
I'd NEVER have 2 puppies at the same time!!! And my GSD's are 'puppies' until about 3 yrs old!

Much better to work on one at a time to make it perfect before adding more confusion to the mix. Costwise too, good to just pay for food, vet bills, socialization and dog classes for one.......... then save up and prepare for the next. 5 year split is perfect for me.

I never get a 'new' dog for my older dogs. Frankly, my dogs seem to enjoy having me all to themselves for as long as that lasts. Because a NEW puppy always is a massive time sucker and I can in no way spend the same time with the older dogs.

Most of the best breeders won't sell another puppy to us if we have a younger dog already cause they know it's not fair to either dog.... so you may also consider that and wait a few years.

Keep in mind the 'selfish' part of this 10 yrs or so down the line when you would have 2 senior dogs. That can be massively expensive with senior dog issues at the vets. Plus the emotional toll on us when one or both pass within close space of time.

I've had a 4 - 5 yr split always between my dogs and it's worked out for me AND the dogs.

So you are saying that I should wait until he is 3 years to get a partner for him, Right?
or I am messed up.

Twyla 04-13-2014 11:12 PM

I have 2 dogs, 3 months difference in age. Absolutely love both of them. Would I do it again? NO!!

GSD - temperament issues
LAB - health issues early part of her life

Double the vet bills, double the training, double everything.

Then looking at senior years and end of life....

SunCzarina 04-13-2014 11:45 PM

I like to have one mature dog with a pup. I used to do rescue work, having a pair of shepherds 2 or 3 years old, it's pandemonium.

Even an adult 3 year old with a puppy is a bit insane. Morgan and Luther were 3 years apart. So many times they almost threw me down the stairs in their zeal to get outside. I prefer the age spread I have now, almost 6 year old male (who's very immature) and a 15 month old female. He's more of a fun Dad than an partner in crime...

LeoRose 04-13-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave3003102 (Post 5370513)
So you are saying that I should wait until he is 3 years to get a partner for him, Right?

or I am messed up.


You don't necessarily get another dog as a friend for your current dog. You get another dog because YOU want another dog.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

huntergreen 04-14-2014 12:48 AM

i disagree with Leorose, another dog for companionship for your dog can be a good thing. first imho, you need to wait until your current gsd is at least 2 years of age, and you need to know how pick one with a compatable temperament.

dave3003102 04-14-2014 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoRose (Post 5370817)
You don't necessarily get another dog as a friend for your current dog. You get another dog because YOU want another dog.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

You just messed up the whole thing "YOU want another dog" and diverted from main topic. I just don't need a dog, if so I would have gone for others breeds, I need a companion for him, that would serve as another dog for me as well.

dave3003102 04-14-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 5371081)
i disagree with Leorose, another dog for companionship for your dog can be a good thing. first imho, you need to wait until your current gsd is at least 2 years of age, and you need to know how pick one with a compatable temperament.

Thanks, I wanted that only, and relieved to hear that 1 or 2 years difference would not make any issue, that was my main concern because currently I am not in state to get another dog but definitely would get in future.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2