German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   How much do you feed your pup? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/437265-how-much-do-you-feed-your-pup.html)

TheDakotaShow 04-12-2014 07:59 PM

How much do you feed your pup?

Right now I'm at 1cup 3x daily. And about 1/2-1 cup for training and about 10 treats. She's almost 12 weeks and around 20-25lbs.

I'm asking because she is always looking for food. Should I feed more? How do I make her full?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

lokimonster 04-12-2014 08:33 PM

I feed my pup about 3 1/2 cups of Orijen Large breed puppy food spread out over 4 meals, he is pretty satisfied with that amount hunger and weight wise... and he is 4 months old, 40 lbs, and growing like a weed. I just switched from diamond naturals LPB formula where I was needing to feed 6 cups per day for the same effect!!

So the particular type of kibble matters when considering how much to feed. I've found that the guidelines on the back of the bag have been pretty accurate for how much my dogs needs with either brand.

What kibble are you feeding?

wyoung2153 04-12-2014 08:40 PM

What kibble are you feeding?

I have always pretty much gone with the recommendation on the bags.. I also have found that puppies... even adults.. are always wanting food :) Titan wasn't so much like that but growing up with my dogs they act like you never feed them!

gurlonfire2004 04-12-2014 09:09 PM

Yes, it is going to depend on what kind of food you feed the puppy and how the puppy looks (too thin with all ribs clearly visible or a bit pudgy or somewhere in between).

My puppy eats between 3 and 4 cups of Blue Wilderness LBP. She is 22 weeks and 42 pounds.

TheDakotaShow 04-12-2014 09:13 PM

I just looked up the feeding chart and it said 1-1 3/4 c daily but there is no way she will like that. Food is all she cares about. Doesn't like toys and is always searching for food.

Here's a link to the food I'm feeding. http://www.ns-of-columbus.com/nutrit...uidelines.html

wyoung2153 04-12-2014 09:29 PM

No expert on food but that really doesn't sound right to me. Titan was at least getting 3 cups a day regardless what brand.. it all seemed to be relatively the same.

lokimonster 04-12-2014 09:45 PM

The recommended amount does look pretty low to me...
Have you had him on a regular dewormer? When I first got my pup, he was really hungry and I had to feed him so much food to maintain his weight. When I took him to the vet a week later, his fecal showed no worms, but when I gave him a dose of the heartworm meds a ton of large roundworms came out in his stool... Ewww! He was happy with a lot less food after a couple days.

f you've ruled out worms, then I would say to go by how he looks. You don't want his ribs showing, but don't want him too chubby either as its not good for their developing joints to have excess weight.
I pretty much decide how much to feed each day by looking at my puppy.. I up the amount if he looks like he's getting slimmer, and if he's looking pudgier, i'll maybe decrease it a little.

TheDakotaShow 04-12-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5366737)
No expert on food but that really doesn't sound right to me. Titan was at least getting 3 cups a day regardless what brand.. it all seemed to be relatively the same.

Right now I'm hand feeding so maybe she doesn't think she's getting enough because she can't devour it in 5 seconds?

She's so food driven its crazy

anitram 04-12-2014 10:36 PM

Hans is 14 wks and only gets about 2 cups of kibble a day but he gets toppers (either canned food - Merrick or Wellness CORE or boiled chicken breast or steak).

He's always been a really slow eater who would rather graze and play every 5 mins so the toppers help him eat a bit more consistently and at set feeding times. I've tried three kinds of kibble and he's not loved any of them enough to be excited to eat. Toppers work like a charm!

TheDakotaShow 04-12-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokimonster (Post 5366801)
The recommended amount does look pretty low to me...
Have you had him on a regular dewormer? When I first got my pup, he was really hungry and I had to feed him so much food to maintain his weight. When I took him to the vet a week later, his fecal showed no worms, but when I gave him a dose of the heartworm meds a ton of large roundworms came out in his stool... Ewww! He was happy with a lot less food after a couple days.

f you've ruled out worms, then I would say to go by how he looks. You don't want his ribs showing, but don't want him too chubby either as its not good for their developing joints to have excess weight.
I pretty much decide how much to feed each day by looking at my puppy.. I up the amount if he looks like he's getting slimmer, and if he's looking pudgier, i'll maybe decrease it a little.

She actually had roundworms when I got her. They put her on dewormer which got them out. And I've started her on trifexis. I know the first 7 weeks of her life she had as much food as she wanted (breeder and a huge food pan in a kennel for the parents and pups) but I don't think she still remebers it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram (Post 5367105)
Hans is 14 wks and only gets about 2 cups of kibble a day but he gets toppers (either canned food - Merrick or Wellness CORE or boiled chicken breast or steak).

He's always been a really slow eater who would rather graze and play every 5 mins so the toppers help him eat a bit more consistently and at set feeding times. I've tried three kinds of kibble and he's not loved any of them enough to be excited to eat. Toppers work like a charm!

Seems like we have totally opposite dogs.