German Shepherds Forum banner

Chasing my pup around with a radio controlled car

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 ·
Anyone else ever do this? I have a radio controlled dune buggy that my pup runs from. It is the most hilarious thing to watch, I did this with Cutter when he was a pup until he got old enough to catch it and tear it up :D

#11 ·
I'm kinda with everyone on the... why chase your dog with something they are terrified of? Sounds kinda cruel. Imagine someone chsing you with something you were terrified of.. just because you didn't whine or scream at the time doesn't mean it didn't effect you.. Not that the reaction to the ONE time when you figured it out, can't be funny but then deliberatly doing that is almost torture IMO.

#13 ·
I don't want to be vilified here, he is not terrorize or whimpering, in fact the opposite he is curious, when it is still he goes over to it and sniffs i Just when it moves he gets startled.

#14 ·
That paints quite the different picture than chasing him around with it :) and in that instance it would probably be funny.. I think people ahve the idea you are honestly taking out your car and chasing him with it while he runs scared for his life..

#16 ·
I don't find this amusing at all. :mad:

I don't want my puppy to be afraid or startled by anything, I want him to be confident and curious.

You are setting your puppy up to be more fearful in the future.

#18 ·
There is a big difference in having fun with your child, who generally isn't scared.. they are usually just surprisd and usually giggle... I would assume if your child actually had a fear of the game you wouldn't play it with them.. but God knows I can be wrong.. maybe there are people out there dilierately scaring their children too. Not to mention children have a little more understanding, and the capability to understand what is going on.

I think in the OP... a picture was painted that they purposely chase their dog around with this thing while it flees for it's life and is utterly terrified.. later the OP clarified that it was curious of the toy and when moved jumped, and it was funny. VERY different picture, VERY different reaction.

#21 ·
I agree with you on the startle versus chase stuff.
My response was a reply to the people who still think, that what the OP was wrong for enjoying that his pup was a bit startled by the rccar.

Startling a dog a couple times will not create a fearful dog. Not teaching your dog how to handle scares will create the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.