German Shepherds Forum banner

Help!! Grooming.

750 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Freestep 
#1 ·
I am having a bit of trouble grooming my gsd she is coming up to 4 months old, up until about a week ago she would sit on my lap with a toy and I could do It really easy but now she just runs off all the time. She is long haired and looks abit of a mess if I don't do it every 2 says or so. I just don't want it to become a problem as she gets older. any tips or advise will be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
It's really helpful to teach a stand stay for grooming. I set mine in a stand stay with a handful of his kibble at my knee so I can give him intermittent rewards for holding the stay and I'll release every couple of minutes before I set him back up for more. Mine doesn't mind grooming, so he'll work for kibble. If you find she's very fidgety or doesn't particularly like grooming, you can also give her a higher value reward for holding the stay. Mine gets hot dog bits for holding his down stay while I grind his nails because he absolutely HATES the grinder.

If you're used to grooming her while she's lying down, you could also give her a stuffed Kong and let her work at it while you groom her.

#4 ·
Sometimes an elevated surface helps keep them still better than being low down. When I'm combing out my Persian, she does much better when I spread a towel on the kitchen island and do her there instead of in the floor.

#5 ·
Use a table or other elevated surface, and tie her to something secure so she can't just run off. Be gentle but firm, and let her know that grooming WILL be done. Praise lots when she is good and still, but don't stop when she is being squirmy or mouthy--if you do, she will learn that she can get her way by being difficult. Offer a treat when she behaves well, so she knows that grooming can be a rewarding experience.

If you are still having trouble, contact a professional groomer. A good groomer knows how to work with the pup and teach her to stand nicely without squirming, biting, or trying to escape. Many of my grooming clients tell me they have been able to brush their dogs at home after several grooming sessions at the salon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.