German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Mosquito??? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/435593-mosquito.html)

Diesel7602 04-08-2014 10:02 PM

Mosquito???

When do puppies get there heart worm meds? I took my dog outside and there are mosquitoes trying to bit him. I took him in fast, no more time out side in the afternoon/night. Only quick potty trips. =(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

gsdsar 04-08-2014 10:38 PM

We generally start HW meds at 8-10 weeks old. But some pups it's up to 6 months old.

llombardo 04-09-2014 03:10 AM

My golden puppy started when I got him at 12 weeks.

nktigger99 04-09-2014 09:16 AM

We started Abby at 9 weeks

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 04-09-2014 09:21 AM

Do you even have heartworms in your area? Looking at a heartworm map, Utah is blank except for one small area. Something to think about, maybe.

Diesel7602 04-09-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 5348513)
Do you even have heartworms in your area? Looking at a heartworm map, Utah is blank except for one small area. Something to think about, maybe.

I didn't know certain areas have heart worm =/ I thought mosquitos just carry it. Thank you.

LoriH 04-09-2014 10:49 AM

We are in Colorado and our vet said we didn't need to treat for that either. And the area we are in we don't even need to treat for fleas or ticks.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 04-09-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5348913)
I didn't know certain areas have heart worm =/ I thought mosquitos just carry it. Thank you.

Yep, mosquitoes carry it but not all mosquitoes have it and in some areas, it is very rare for mosquitoes to carry it, if at all. Here is a map to show you:

Heartworm Medication Part 2: Options to Fear-Based Recommendations | Dogs Naturally Magazine

You can Google heartworm map too and find this same map - or more recent ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriH (Post 5348953)
We are in Colorado and our vet said we didn't need to treat for that either. And the area we are in we don't even need to treat for fleas or ticks.

That is great! I wish...but unfortunately, I live in the Southeast...

nktigger99 04-09-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5348913)

I would call a few vets in your area and get their opinions on if you should treat in your area. That way you can get a broader idea of what direction to go in.

Traveler's Mom 04-09-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 5348977)
Yep, mosquitoes carry it but not all mosquitoes have it and in some areas, it is very rare for mosquitoes to carry it, if at all. Here is a map to show you:

Heartworm Medication Part 2: Options to Fear-Based Recommendations | Dogs Naturally Magazine

You can Google heartworm map too and find this same map - or more recent ones.

That is great! I wish...but unfortunately, I live in the Southeast...

Wow- that's like heaven on earth. Traveler and I, coming from South Florida will be meeting up with I Love My Mikko and heading out to your place :)