German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Crate Training Failure! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/435481-crate-training-failure.html)

CalliesMom 04-08-2014 02:47 PM

Crate Training Failure!

I've read almost everything there is out there about crate training. I got my pup (9 weeks old) comfortable going in and out of the crate on her own. I then would feed her meals in the crate and the lock the door while she ate. I started to slowly increase the amount of time she was in there with the ultimate goal being that when I have to leave the house as well as at night, she will stay in the crate.

However, now she won't even let me lock the door while she eats. She picks up some food then spins around to make sure the door is still open. If it's not then she begins screaming. Not whining or barking, but practically howling! She does not quit.

I tried putting her in with a blanket, without a blanket, special kong treat, no toys, etc. She doesn't care if I'm sitting right next to the crate or on the other side of the house, she screams the whole time.

I'm not sure what to do now. She was slowly improving and now I feel like were worse than she was on day 1.

Help???? I don't like the idea of leaving her out all night. Not just because of the housebreaking issues but also because I can't be sure she's not getting into anything bad (although I've tried my best to puppy proof the house). Thanks!!

gurlonfire2004 04-08-2014 03:05 PM

You can't let her out while she is crying or she learns that is the way to get out. You have to wait until she is quiet, even if it is only for a few seconds. My pup is 5 months old and she will still cry for a minute when I crate her and walk out. But it only lasts for a minute-she is just telling me that she doesn't want me to go.

CalliesMom 04-08-2014 03:17 PM

I haven't been. I always wait for a lull before I open the crate.

sehrgutcsg 04-08-2014 03:22 PM

I do not feed the dog in the crate. I throw her in there and lock the door, put a little water in the door because there's two dishes and at night time I have a dog cage that folds up and I stuff it over next to the bed and she sleeps next to me on the bed -she makes noise every once in a while I convince her that's not going to happen. She doesn't spend that much time in the crate she's a little over 3 1/2 months we put her in there while were eating dinner so that she's not all over on top of us because she hasn't learned that yet and the crate is extra-large 48 x 36 it's a big one.

My advice is close the door when she's being loaded into the crate before she turns around.

MaggieRoseLee 04-08-2014 04:17 PM

My pup needs to get in the crate, then I put in the food bowl and close the door. So you may want to try that. Then when she's done eating if she screams she just stays in until she stops screaming. Ear plugs for ME are an allowable training tool :)

Always best to NOT have a crate too large, helps with the housebreaking. I know I have a 12 week old puppy and still set the alarm for 3 am to get her out to potty then back for the rest of the night sleep.

And I got a bit confused about the nighttime ritual. You have the crate beside your bed. Put her in, toss in a treat/kong/chewie, close the door, go to bed and .........

You purchase and start up with Crate Games yet?

nktigger99 04-09-2014 08:21 AM

You just have to ignore the crying and screaming. She will get used to it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Blanketback 04-09-2014 09:48 AM

My puppy was a determined screamer too. What a racket! But they need to understand that screaming isn't going to get them released, or else they'll just scream every time. I used to crate my puppy and sit where he could see me, and I'd wear my shooting ear muffs, lol. He was still a whiner, but nothing is worse than that scream! I also used a baby gate to confine my puppy in a corner beside my bed, rather than use a crate, and this worked perfectly for me. He didn't mind that at all and would fall right to sleep.

LoveEcho 04-09-2014 10:55 AM

It's a phase. I had a crate screamer... and by screamer, I mean someone would think she was dying a horrible, awful death RIGHT THAT SECOND.

Just gotta let them scream it out. It'll get worse before it gets better, because she'll try harder. I found a blanket over the crate and putting the crate in a corner (without a lot of activity from passers by) helped a lot.

CalliesMom 04-09-2014 12:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I think that I'm going to give up on the crate training and just work on housebreaking her and getting her to not have an accident through the night. I puppy-proofed the entire first floor last night and let her sleep down there. I took her out in the middle of the night when I woke up because I saw she was awake and she didn't have an accident! Hopefully we can keep this thing going :)

Blanketback 04-09-2014 01:04 PM

No, don't take the easy way out, lol! It's important to get them to settle in the crate, and the sooner the better. There will come a day that you'll wish you did it, otherwise.