German Shepherds Forum banner

Crate Training Failure!

4K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  Kbankk 
#1 ·
I've read almost everything there is out there about crate training. I got my pup (9 weeks old) comfortable going in and out of the crate on her own. I then would feed her meals in the crate and the lock the door while she ate. I started to slowly increase the amount of time she was in there with the ultimate goal being that when I have to leave the house as well as at night, she will stay in the crate.

However, now she won't even let me lock the door while she eats. She picks up some food then spins around to make sure the door is still open. If it's not then she begins screaming. Not whining or barking, but practically howling! She does not quit.

I tried putting her in with a blanket, without a blanket, special kong treat, no toys, etc. She doesn't care if I'm sitting right next to the crate or on the other side of the house, she screams the whole time.

I'm not sure what to do now. She was slowly improving and now I feel like were worse than she was on day 1.

Help???? I don't like the idea of leaving her out all night. Not just because of the housebreaking issues but also because I can't be sure she's not getting into anything bad (although I've tried my best to puppy proof the house). Thanks!!

See less See more
#28 ·
Another vote to stick with the crate training.

My older dog wasn't crate-trained. When she had ACL surgery, confining her was awful. We were darn lucky she didnt reinjure herself.

For your pups sake, do it. There comes a time in every dogs life that for his own good, he needs to be confined. Doing it now will be way less stressful.

I throw treats in and my pup has never given me trouble, so I'm lucky. As a young pup, I made sure that nighttime potty breaks were never playtime. Go out, do business, back to bed.

When pup is quiet, throw treats in to reward. Crying gets nothing. No response, no look, nothing.

When I let my guy out, I will keep shutting the door until he calms down and waits. No rushing out or excitement. And never let them out the moment you return home. Ignore for a bit.

Just suggestions based on what worked for me.

Good luck.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#30 ·
Lucie would scream something terrible when we first brought her home. Now at 14 weeks she sleeps in there all night and doesn't make a sound until morning.
You just have to tough it out and ignore her. But we do not feed her in the crate. Maybe you can try not feeding her in there anymore and just putting her in there when you sleep and when you're gone.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#33 ·
Good for you, just stick with it and tough it out! Don't expect to get a lot of sleep with young puppies. Solstice was a horrible screamer for her crate training. Now she loves her crate and sleeps in it all night with the door open and doesn't come out until we get up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.