Adding a second puppy doesn't change you life that much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Adding a second puppy doesn't change you life that much?

I didn't know where to add that Tread, here or to puppy place
This Saturday it's a high chance we will get our second puppy( 9 week male). We already have 3.5 year old female. She is a great dog, well socialized, trained, friendly. She met that puppy week ago and actually it worked nice, both had fun.
I know it's going to be a work again: training, socializing, etc. but besides that(and money) is that bringing a huge life change? Did you guys has to make a lot of adjustment? Is it much harder to have a two dogs that you would like to come back to one dog?
VDAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is double the work, you know have to fill the expectations of two dogs rather then one. So you play 30 minutes of fetch with one dog, the first one is all tired and happy and then round 2 starts with the next one. Same with training, you need to train each seperately and then together. All expenses are increased as well

In the end if you're willing to put in the time, it's well worth it. Both my dogs fill different needs and are treasured companions. I'd get a third in a heartbeat if I had the space, but 3 would be my personal limit. I'd love a female GSD and Delgado would love a companion to play with on a daily basis lol

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Having 2 dogs is 4x the work of just training 1 dog if the goals are same for both.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Adding a second puppy is a TON of work, at least for quite a while. Having two adults, not so much, depending on what you want to do with them... but the first many months is a huge change. Making sure both dogs get training and exercise time separately, monitoring their together time when the pup is smaller, being on top of the puppy 100% of the time when they're not crated... it's a lot of work. If both dogs will be sport dogs, that crazy level of works continues into adulthood. If not, then it sort of mellows out. The dogs I have right now, the adult is a pet only while the puppy is a sport prospect, so the adult doesn't require nearly as much work and training.
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Depends on what you do with them. If they are house pets, like mine, then no I don't think its much harder. (more expensive yes, harder no) I have 5.

The only time I've been back down to just one, after Shadow died, not only was my Buddy miserable being the only dog, we were sad with just one too. We like having dogs around.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Its odd. Getting a second dog was a huge adjustment. Getting the third and the occasional fourth(rescue foster) is not as bad. Your original dog is older, better set ways and where your want her. So that makes it easier. I think its a great time to add a new dog. Right now all my dogs are about 3-4 years apart. I think thats perfect.

But remember to not forget your older dog. The puppy will need lots and lots of attention. Make sure you dont forget your adult girl. She is going to need one on one time, training and love as well.
gsdsar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

The reason why I asked was that I was stressed out to get first dog. I was afraid of life changes(like you can't go everywhere, you need to pick hotels that accepts dogs or find kennel, rush home to take your dog out), but it didn't affect me that much. It was I will say 3 smooth years. Obedience training I did at home(one hour a day), we also train Nose Work(one hour a week)at school, we have trials 2 times a year. I'm planning to sign her also for tracking. We don't have kids, so I have time after work. We love riding on ATVs so she always goes with us to our friends cabin and we keep her when we are on trail. She loves traveling.We can let her out to run freely and she will not run away. So I never felt like I have a dog, I felt like a have a companion.
That's why I was wondering if the other can change that(we not talking influence of temperament ex. high drive puppy, cause this one is a high drive)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Adding a second puppy doesn't change you life that much?

One thing to keep in mind if you like to travel, finding a hotel that will take one dog is hard. Finding a hotel that will take two dogs is extremely hard.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In the home, no I wouldn't say it was harder.. the training and puppy things, sure, but that's even with one pup. I would say it becomes a little more challenging when you travel.. finding hotels or friends to watch 2 big dogs vs one, was more difficult. I was also living alone at the time I had 2, so I can imagine it being a little easier with 2 or more people int he household.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

La Quinta is taking dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.