German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   New pup hasn't pooped yet!?!? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/435337-new-pup-hasnt-pooped-yet.html)

FuzzButtMum 04-08-2014 08:32 AM

New pup hasn't pooped yet!?!?

This is my first time raising a puppy (i've previously had adult dogs).

My little guy, Finnick, came home yesterday but has yet to poop. It's been just over 24 hours. He's eaten 4 meals so far with us (3 meals per day) with no problem, he's also drinking plenty. He is urinating fine (although it takes a while in the garden for him to actually "go" because he gets distracted. Is this normal for him not to have pooped? Am I going to get one giant poop when he eventually poops? Shovel at the ready! :S

Fuzzbuttmum

dawnandjr 04-08-2014 08:38 AM

I dont think that is normal. Has there been a change in the food from what the breeder was feeding? Does he have free access to water? Are you allowing him the opportunity to freely wander about in the yard to deceide to poop? Has he been dewormed at all? If so, with what and when? Has he had a bout with diarrhea recently and his stools are just firming up?

Diesel7602 04-08-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzButtMum (Post 5342105)
This is my first time raising a puppy (i've previously had adult dogs).

My little guy, Finnick, came home yesterday but has yet to poop. It's been just over 24 hours. He's eaten 4 meals so far with us (3 meals per day) with no problem, he's also drinking plenty. He is urinating fine (although it takes a while in the garden for him to actually "go" because he gets distracted. Is this normal for him not to have pooped? Am I going to get one giant poop when he eventually poops? Shovel at the ready! :S

Fuzzbuttmum

my puppy did the same thing. It worried me. He will go. He might be nervous of his new life. =)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

FuzzButtMum 04-08-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5342409)
my puppy did the same thing. It worried me. He will go. He might be nervous of his new life. =)

Thank you :) maybe he will eventually go, I think I will just phone my vet to double check (and put my mind at ease). He seems very happy in himself.

dawnandjr - I'm feeding him the food the breeder gave me when I got Finnick. So, it's not the food :(

Diesel7602 04-08-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzButtMum (Post 5342481)
Thank you :) maybe he will eventually go, I think I will just phone my vet to double check (and put my mind at ease). He seems very happy in himself.

dawnandjr - I'm feeding him the food the breeder gave me when I got Finnick. So, it's not the food :(

My puppy took for ever. I kept taking him out side hoping he would go.....=( but once he did, it seam like he had to poop all the time, and also tried to eat it. =p good luck, keep us posted what happens and what the vet said.

FuzzButtMum 04-08-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5342521)
My puppy took for ever. I kept taking him out side hoping he would go.....=( but once he did, it seam like he had to poop all the time, and also tried to eat it. =p good luck, keep us posted what happens and what the vet said.

Thanks :) it's put my mind at ease a bit. I'll update on what the vet says :) we've just spent about 1/2 hour in the garden in case he wanted to poop, but nothing.

Is that your pup in your avatar? He is gorgeous!!!! x

GRANBYsyztem 04-08-2014 10:31 AM

he'll go. I remember being a little frustrated too because my little guy wouldn't poop either. How do you teach a puppy where to poop if he wont poop??! Haha, give him time, play with him. I've noticed it loosens my pup up sometimes. Goes RIGHT after a walk. but 24 hours IS long. I'd consider getting the vet to take a look at him if hes blocked up for much longer.

Diesel7602 04-08-2014 01:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzButtMum (Post 5342569)
Thanks :) it's put my mind at ease a bit. I'll update on what the vet says :) we've just spent about 1/2 hour in the garden in case he wanted to poop, but nothing.

Is that your pup in your avatar? He is gorgeous!!!! x

Yes. =) thank you. Here he is now at 9 weeks . You should post a pic so we can see your baby =)

Longfisher 04-08-2014 01:06 PM

Take a Look

under the bed.

LF

Hunter4628 04-08-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5344041)
Yes. =) thank you. Here he is now at 9 weeks . You should post a pic so we can see your baby =)

your puppy is so adorable!!:)