German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Thinking of another Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/433753-thinking-another-puppy.html)

flhtcui95 04-04-2014 03:28 PM

Thinking of another Puppy

Hi, We have a 8.5 month old GSD puppy that is doing pretty well and were thinking of getting another GSD puppy (9 week old). Is this a good idea as far as the dogs go? Is there a disadvantage to adding a new puppy with Maxine being so young? (I know it would be a challenge for us and can accept that part) thanks in advance.

wyoung2153 04-04-2014 03:38 PM

There will be mixed opinions but I believe that you know what is best for you and your family. If you are willing to take on the responsibilty of essentially having 2 puppies then I think you will be fine. But only you know that. Some want years betwen their dogs, and others want at least a year. I have always had 2 of the same aged dogs my whole life until now and I think it's purely based on the potential parents. Just know that it is extra responsibility and you need to make sure that you are getting the other puppy for you not your other dog and you are willing to take the necessary measures for both dogs if you need to. :)

JakodaCD OA 04-04-2014 03:44 PM

I agree with whitney, and I keep saying this so apologize to those who read it over and over again.

I will NEVER get two dogs close in age again...I have lost 2 sets of 2, within months of each other, just lost my 13 yr oldaussie, and have a 14 yr old aussie..bad enough when it happens once, but again is devastating:(((

DJEtzel 04-04-2014 04:31 PM

I also agree with waiting. I like at least a year between dogs... At 8 months, you have no idea how that dog is going to mature, what type of dogs he/she will or won't like, and what sort of behavioral problems you could run into upon the beginning of maturity.

mydogs 04-04-2014 09:29 PM

Mine are all a year apart but my next is 8 months apart.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

zyppi 04-04-2014 10:46 PM

Yep, mine are about a year apart, and it's not "dealing" with two pups, it's worrying about losing both at near the same time.

Been there, done that, why didn't I learn?

trcy 04-04-2014 11:12 PM

My first two were a year apart. Then we waiting about 7 years to get another one. They are 8 years, 7 years and 10 months.

flhtcui95 04-05-2014 03:18 PM

Thank You for all the replies, it is a tough decision and one that comes with a lot of extra effort. We had two dogs in the past with one an established and trained adult before getting the other as a puppy. They passed a couple of years apart and it still was very difficult. I guess I will have to discuss some more with my wife before jumping into it as she will be affected as much as me. (The grand kids just get to enjoy either one dog or two)

readaboutdogs 04-05-2014 07:48 PM

Just curious, but was wondering if you get to have your grandkids over often to be around your dog. The dog I have now is good with kids( non gsd) but in the future I plan to get another gsd and wondered what people do to socialize with children when there aren't really any available! My grandkids live out of state! I thought about a year or up to two years between age of dogs would be good too as my gsds were brothers and passed in 9 months of each other. What I want to do is get a female collie first then another male shepherd. But would like to know what others do to help with being around kids when there's not really any around!

flhtcui95 04-07-2014 07:30 PM

My grandkids are over all the time, we all live in same neighborhood. Our GSD, Maxie, loves being around the kids (girl 3, girl 4 and boy 7) and actually was getting into mischief when they went out of town for spring break. We also take her to the dog park to socialize with other dogs and we walk her in the neighborhood and let all the kids
(and adults) pet and play with her. We also took her to play time at the local Petco and there was usually a few kids with their parents and dogs there. Hope it helps, good luck.