How'd you name your puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How'd you name your puppy?

I hope this is the right place for this...I wasn't sure where else to post it.

How did you come up with your puppy's name? I should be getting a pup in a few months (gotta wait for my breeder to pick the right parents!) and I've been through a billion names and nothing seems right.

So out of curiosity...did you wait until you saw your pup, or did you have a name that you hoped s/he would grow into?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Seeing Eye named our GSD for us. He was delivered to us from their breeding facility at 7 weeks with the name of Ranger. When he flunked out of the Seeing Eye program we kept the name - how could we change it?
Rangers_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's pretty cool. My breeder names all her pups, and they're always unique, though I want to go with something a little more...me, perhaps? I want her to be a protection dog, so I want something that sounds good, but that won't scare friends away from being at my house, you know? I'm thinking Cairo or Aeron. -shrug-
Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

My daughters said they wanted to name him Hunter. I liked the idea of it, so I looked it up and Jager is German for Hunter. Boom. Jager it is.
PMRonan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdock87 View Post
That's pretty cool. My breeder names all her pups, and they're always unique, though I want to go with something a little more...me, perhaps? I want her to be a protection dog, so I want something that sounds good, but that won't scare friends away from being at my house, you know? I'm thinking Cairo or Aeron. -shrug-
Your name choices sound very good. I like them.

I guess I didn't make it clear but The Seeing Eye would not allow us to name our own dog. We certainly would have preferred to name our own dog, but when we got Ranger he was not ours. We were just raising him for the Seeing Eye for a year until he went back to them for training as a Seeing Eye dog. When he failed we weren't going to change his name.
Rangers_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Indie's registered name had to start with "N" - so it's "Nina". We weren't too particular about the registered name because we could always have a called name as well. We couldn't find one that started with "N' that we liked as a call name - so I started looking around.

I g**gled a bunch of law enforcement K9 unit sites looking for names. I wanted something that was kind of cute for a puppy, but also seemed a little more exotic (for lack of a better term) for an adult. There are a lot of great name ideas "out there".

"Indie" actually came from an online search that I was doing about what to do for a cat with a chronic runny nose. Someone had a snot-nosed cat named "Indie". I liked it. The kids liked it. It stuck.

And it really does suit her - I refer to her as my "hippy wild-child". She's a very energetic, very playful, happy-go-lucky girl (13 months old now), that so badly wants to please us but is often distracted by an opportunity to have some "fun". She's a real sweetie - perfect for us.
Charlie (meow) 2000-
Puma (meow) 2010-
Nitro (meow) 2010-
igottabecrazy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Those are all awesome stories. I like the sound of "Indie," and I have a cousin named Hunter, so that wouldn't work (and my pup will be female). And I could imagine my neighbors and the rumors that would start if I went to my porch and starting yelling Jaeger. I'd be in Detox that night! haha
burdock87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
njk

Prior to getting our pup, I planned to get a male and call him Whiskey, I think moreso because of the GSD colour. We ended up getting a female and my partner suggested Zelda (after the Legend of Zelda game series) because I'm a fan and always said if I had a daughter I'd call her that. He didn't like the name for a human, so said to give it to our pup. Her breeder name was Cointreau, which I thought was nice (and funny that it was also alcohol related) and considered briefly to keep that.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Abby.....after the character on NCIS one of our favorite shows. We also wanted a name our kids could say fairly clearly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had a horse named Whiskey once. He was just like the drink - you stay on too long, and he was sure to put you on your rear. lol

I like Abby...my aunt has a pitty named Abby. She is the sweetest thing! My mom has my lab-mix named Willow. I thought about re-using that, but decided against it.

I'm thinking heavily about Cairo. I mean, I still have months to worry about it, and will change my mind a hundred times, but still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.