Outdoor dog toys or entertainment? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Outdoor dog toys or entertainment?

I am finally getting my backyard fenced.. doing it myself after work so it's going to be another few weeks.

I was just curious what kind of toys or apparatus for outside entertainment is available to buy or make.. I will make a flirt pole but was also wondering if there was something that would keep her busy enough that I could maybe leave her at home for a few hours at a time. At this point she goes everywhere with me and waits in the car while I am working.
carrieincolorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

We have a neighbor that built a larger fenced in area for her dog, tucked a bit away from the house. She did it to allow more exercise for her beagle. I told her when she was planning it that if you aren't there with the dog all it will do is sit by the gate and wait to be taken back toward the house, or at least on a walk with the owner. That's all the dog does, she does not use the enclosure for anything now.

Just saying, a fenced in yard may well contain the dog, but they want to be with the family, for the most part. Unless someone is there with the dog I wouldn't expect much exercise.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I loved having a couple of sections of my yard fenced. I can let one or two girls in Far Field -- a little fenced field on the one side of my house -- while I clean kennels. And when there is grass in Near Field, a few can run and play there as well.

Also, I can throw a toy for them in the area, and I don't have to worry about anyone getting carried away and going down into the ravine and river, or out in the road.

I suppose you can purchase or build agility equipment to work with the dog on. But I would not leave the dog in there with the equipment unsupervised -- mine like the A-Frame a little too much, and if they do get hurt, I want to know how they managed it if at all possible.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

half deflated soccer ball! if you're there to kick it around for her
Old 04-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Two of my dogs are in the back yard while I'm at work. I normally only leave hard Kong toys in the back yard for them to play with. I don't want a bored dog chewing and swallowing toys.

In the summer, I'll put out the horse trough for them to play in. I tried the kiddie pool, but they didn't care for it. I'm not sure why. I brought up a large horse trough from the barn and they both jump in and out of it...or just sit in it.

I did hang a toy once on a bungee type cord from a tree limb. At the end of the cord, I put a Kong toy. Watching them play with it I got far too worried that someone was going to either hang themselves, or end up chewing through the rope and eating the rope. Just didn't work for me. I do hang out the toy when I'm home, and they'll play with it.

If you had a camera and put it in your back yard, you'd find out that most of the day your dog will sleep.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm going to get a plastic swimming pool for my pup this summer. I live in the desert, so it will be hot every day. You could also set up a sandbox or area for your pup to dig. You will have to teach the dog how to use the area first, though (by burying toys, treats, and bones and encouraging the dog to find them.) Our dogs have always played outside by themselves. Most of our dogs spent equal time inside and outside, so they did entertain themselves outdoors. I don't leave my puppy outside when I leave the house yet, but I plan to for short periods of time.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for your replies.. the biggest reason I want the yard is to play while I am home without worrying she will chase the cat onto the neighbors porch or run into the road. (I live in town, sadly) BUT.. if it's ever possible for her to stay home, just half the day, that would be fantastic. Kiddie pool is totally worth a try! Thanks everybody!
carrieincolorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

At country stores, you can get very large ball toys made for horses and dogs. You can also buy or make a small children's playground with slides, ladders, ropes, and whatever else you might want to add. My boy loves playgrounds.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieincolorado View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies.. the biggest reason I want the yard is to play while I am home without worrying she will chase the cat onto the neighbors porch or run into the road. (I live in town, sadly) BUT.. if it's ever possible for her to stay home, just half the day, that would be fantastic. Kiddie pool is totally worth a try! Thanks everybody!
Is the yard not fenced?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
Is the yard not fenced?
No, the OP said they were fencing it in themselves so they can leave their pup out there without worrying and just wanted to know what kinds of thing they can leave out there with the dog to entertain it.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.