Puppy gets excited meeting strangers. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy gets excited meeting strangers.

So are most of yall puppies the same way. Almost seem like the like strangers more than me, wish my puppy would be that excited about seeing me lol. But me and my puppy can be walking and a stranger can come up and he'll get super excited and I let people pet him and play with him but once they start to leave he goes crazy and ignores me.
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How old now? Venus loved to meet people and yes she'd foresake me for friendly strangers. She's 14 months now, learning to be aloof even though I have to tell her often 'if that person wanted to meet you, they'd ask'

We visit JWU (culinary arts) campus often because it's right down the street and has a great view down the bay. Every time we go, there's some college missing his/her dog who wants a love mugging from Venus. She always gets so excited to meet new people but now she seems to remember she's out with me and she'll give kisses for a moment then come back to make sure I'm okay with this.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

At least you have a pup that is social and not afraid of people because that would be a major temperament flaw.

I personally like my dog aloof but that's personal preference.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1stclass View Post
So are most of yall puppies the same way. Almost seem like the like strangers more than me, wish my puppy would be that excited about seeing me lol. But me and my puppy can be walking and a stranger can come up and he'll get super excited and I let people pet him and play with him but once they start to leave he goes crazy and ignores me.
Uh no! I had to work to get mine to except company! It worked he's fine in public, at home he's like, Welcome...your leaving when, to guest?
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

My puppy is 14 weeks and behaves as though she NEEDS strangers to pet her in order to survive. She freaks out. Unless she's in the car and then she barks and growls at people outside the car. She also pees when she meets new people. yay

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

My pup is almost 5 months old. She was pretty interested in strangers when she was really young. But I think that she has been kind of stand-offish for the last 8 weeks or so. If someone approaches her too quickly and aggressively, she'll back up and bark. If they stop and hold out their hand, then she will slowly come over to sniff and then lick and get pet IF they don't make any sudden movements before the sniff. So, no, my puppy is not like that. :-)

Last edited by gurlonfire2004; 03-27-2014 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling error
gurlonfire2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Chevelle is so excited to meet anyone new that she will JUMP to lick them in the Face.. jumping is a huge issue for us.. so I am a little jealous of the aloof type... but she is mostly stuck on me to the point that I cannot use the restroom or turn the other way in the room without her attached to my hip. but the jumping at strangers thing is pretty stressful for everyone.
carrieincolorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

my puppy is super excited to meet strangers but I don't mind because he clings to me like glue for the other 99% of the time. I'm sure that he'll become aloof to new faces later so I can forgive his momentary puppy adoration of strangers like I'm not there
Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The puppy love of strangers does pass. Otto was a gregarious pup too. Now, he could not be bribed to care less if anyone wants to meet him. Unless they're a culinary arts student from JWU and female, LOL he knows the uniforms and likes the young ladies who smell like food.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.

Last edited by SunCzarina; 03-27-2014 at 11:05 PM.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

My pup could care less about new people as long as I'm around he just looks at them doesn't move, doesn't bark... Just stares. For example When The cable guy came over today and the door bell rang he ran to the door then just sat and kept looking at me then the door then back at me like "hey are you going to get that" When I opened the door he didn't get over excited or even seemed interested in the guy he just came up to me and sat on my feet staring at the cable guy. Like saying this is my mommy. And would not leave my side when the cable guy was in the house (which is what I want ) but as soon as the cable guy left he went right back to playing with his ball.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Daisyline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.