German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Puppy gets excited meeting strangers. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/429826-puppy-gets-excited-meeting-strangers.html)

Airman1stclass 03-26-2014 09:42 PM

Puppy gets excited meeting strangers.

So are most of yall puppies the same way. Almost seem like the like strangers more than me, wish my puppy would be that excited about seeing me lol. But me and my puppy can be walking and a stranger can come up and he'll get super excited and I let people pet him and play with him but once they start to leave he goes crazy and ignores me.

SunCzarina 03-26-2014 10:46 PM

How old now? Venus loved to meet people and yes she'd foresake me for friendly strangers. She's 14 months now, learning to be aloof even though I have to tell her often 'if that person wanted to meet you, they'd ask'

We visit JWU (culinary arts) campus often because it's right down the street and has a great view down the bay. Every time we go, there's some college missing his/her dog who wants a love mugging from Venus. She always gets so excited to meet new people but now she seems to remember she's out with me and she'll give kisses for a moment then come back to make sure I'm okay with this.

boomer11 03-26-2014 11:14 PM

At least you have a pup that is social and not afraid of people because that would be a major temperament flaw.

I personally like my dog aloof but that's personal preference.

Chip18 03-26-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airman1stclass (Post 5274530)
So are most of yall puppies the same way. Almost seem like the like strangers more than me, wish my puppy would be that excited about seeing me lol. But me and my puppy can be walking and a stranger can come up and he'll get super excited and I let people pet him and play with him but once they start to leave he goes crazy and ignores me.

Uh no! I had to work to get mine to except company! It worked he's fine in public, at home he's like, Welcome...your leaving when, to guest? :p

ZoeD1217 03-26-2014 11:33 PM

My puppy is 14 weeks and behaves as though she NEEDS strangers to pet her in order to survive. She freaks out. Unless she's in the car and then she barks and growls at people outside the car. She also pees when she meets new people. yay ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

gurlonfire2004 03-27-2014 12:17 AM

My pup is almost 5 months old. She was pretty interested in strangers when she was really young. But I think that she has been kind of stand-offish for the last 8 weeks or so. If someone approaches her too quickly and aggressively, she'll back up and bark. If they stop and hold out their hand, then she will slowly come over to sniff and then lick and get pet IF they don't make any sudden movements before the sniff. So, no, my puppy is not like that. :-)

carrieincolorado 03-27-2014 09:58 PM

Chevelle is so excited to meet anyone new that she will JUMP to lick them in the Face.. jumping is a huge issue for us.. so I am a little jealous of the aloof type... but she is mostly stuck on me to the point that I cannot use the restroom or turn the other way in the room without her attached to my hip. :) but the jumping at strangers thing is pretty stressful for everyone.

TigervTeMar 03-27-2014 10:25 PM

my puppy is super excited to meet strangers but I don't mind because he clings to me like glue for the other 99% of the time. I'm sure that he'll become aloof to new faces later so I can forgive his momentary puppy adoration of strangers like I'm not there

SunCzarina 03-27-2014 11:03 PM

The puppy love of strangers does pass. Otto was a gregarious pup too. Now, he could not be bribed to care less if anyone wants to meet him. Unless they're a culinary arts student from JWU and female, LOL he knows the uniforms and likes the young ladies who smell like food.

Daisyline 03-27-2014 11:41 PM

My pup could care less about new people as long as I'm around he just looks at them doesn't move, doesn't bark... Just stares. For example When The cable guy came over today and the door bell rang he ran to the door then just sat and kept looking at me then the door then back at me like "hey are you going to get that" When I opened the door he didn't get over excited or even seemed interested in the guy he just came up to me and sat on my feet staring at the cable guy. Like saying this is my mommy. And would not leave my side when the cable guy was in the house (which is what I want ) but as soon as the cable guy left he went right back to playing with his ball.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App