Favorite toy is a stick - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Airman1stclass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 253
Default Favorite toy is a stick

So is it oj for my puppy to chew on sticks. It's the only thing that will keepp him calm. And its his favorite chew. Not sure if he is eating it or not because pieces are all on the carpet. But is it ok?
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
wyoung2153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 3,152
Default

If He's chewing and swallowing it.. then no. That's not very healthy. But if you KNOW he's not eating it, I wouldn't see a problem. Personally, and I'm no expert, I would air on the side of caution with the chewing.. Titan's favorite toy is a stick too, but he doesn't chew it at all, he just wants me to throw it.. if he chews it's to destroy it... lol Have you tried giving him a raw marrow bone or a knuckle bone?
__________________
v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Airman1stclass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
If He's chewing and swallowing it.. then no. That's not very healthy. But if you KNOW he's not eating it, I wouldn't see a problem. Personally, and I'm no expert, I would air on the side of caution with the chewing.. Titan's favorite toy is a stick too, but he doesn't chew it at all, he just wants me to throw it.. if he chews it's to destroy it... lol Have you tried giving him a raw marrow bone or a knuckle bone?
Never thought about that. Do they sel them at pet stores?
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
wyoung2153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 3,152
Default

They sell cooked ones, which I don't like at all. I have bought the pet store once and they literally just shatter.. maybe I had a bad one but it scared me.

I stick with the grocery store, not walmart, but a grocery store with a butcher in the back. They usually sell the bones for cheap. I get marrow bones, usually about 2-3 inches sometimes bigger for no more than like $5 and there are usually 2 or 3 in a pack. Just ask the butcher if you can't find them. I freeze mine and give them to Titan, but the puppy would probably do just fine without freezing them.. and the marrow bones last FOREVER. lol.
__________________
v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Airman1stclass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
They sell cooked ones, which I don't like at all. I have bought the pet store once and they literally just shatter.. maybe I had a bad one but it scared me.

I stick with the grocery store, not walmart, but a grocery store with a butcher in the back. They usually sell the bones for cheap. I get marrow bones, usually about 2-3 inches sometimes bigger for no more than like $5 and there are usually 2 or 3 in a pack. Just ask the butcher if you can't find them. I freeze mine and give them to Titan, but the puppy would probably do just fine without freezing them.. and the marrow bones last FOREVER. lol.
Ok thanks. I'll start calling tomorrow. I need one of those asap!
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Eiros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 683
Default

Our pup is the same... Loves sticks!!! We don't let him bring them in the house, because he will try to eat the bark, or any soft rotted wood. He gets nylabones and antlers in the house, sticks are for outside.

Once I let him chew a piece of wood we had put next to the fireplace to burn - he stripped all bark and made a huge mess!!!!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
Warden - Sable GSD 4/23/2013
Blackjack - Black and tan GSD 4/23/11-6/1/2012
Eiros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
wyoung2153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 3,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1stclass View Post
Ok thanks. I'll start calling tomorrow. I need one of those asap!
It's really common at most grocery stores! You shouldn't have a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiros View Post
He gets nylabones and antlers in the house, sticks are for outside.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
A lot of people like to get antlers and love them.. didn't even think about that! Titan just got his first Ram horn too from the pet store, it would be where the antlers are too.
__________________
v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
SunCzarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 12,797
Default

Bones are good, boodah tugs too. He'll be just as happy chewing on an empty 20oz soda bottle from the recycling and he's so little, he's not going to be able to eat the plastic. Ice cubes are good. Take a couple old dishtowels, get them wet and ring it out, stick it in the freezer for a little while. That's great for teething and baby bites.

Sticks can be a problem - stop reading *now* if you don't want to get freaked out.

I had one dog that got the Y from a forked branch stuck behind in the back of his mouth. 3 people to hold him down and a 4th to get it out with a pair of vice grips. Friend of mine's dog got it wedged into her throat and had to have surgery to remove a fragment that jammed through her trachea. Venus' sister loved to play fetch with them and had an e-visit over hitting herself in the eye with one.
__________________
-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Zeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,354
Default

I don't let Zeeva chew on sticks but she loves playing with them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqZ...pSBgA3NwsiIMiw
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
wyoung2153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 3,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCzarina View Post
Bones are good, boodah tugs too. He'll be just as happy chewing on an empty 20oz soda bottle from the recycling and he's so little, he's not going to be able to eat the plastic. Ice cubes are good. Take a couple old dishtowels, get them wet and ring it out, stick it in the freezer for a little while. That's great for teething and baby bites.

Sticks can be a problem - stop reading *now* if you don't want to get freaked out.

I had one dog that got the Y from a forked branch stuck behind in the back of his mouth. 3 people to hold him down and a 4th to get it out with a pair of vice grips. Friend of mine's dog got it wedged into her throat and had to have surgery to remove a fragment that jammed through her trachea. Venus' sister loved to play fetch with them and had an e-visit over hitting herself in the eye with one.
EEK good to know with the sticks. It's Titans too, only he just wants to play fetch, no chewing.

The frozen towel is brilliant, wish I would have thought to do that when he was a puppy.. good idea for our future pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I don't let Zeeva chew on sticks but she loves playing with them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqZ...pSBgA3NwsiIMiw
This so cute!!
__________________
v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum