German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   What to expect when picking up pup from airport? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/429770-what-expect-when-picking-up-pup-airport.html)

Daisyline 03-26-2014 06:32 PM

What to expect when picking up pup from airport?

Anyone have any tips? Or experience with this?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Daisyline 03-26-2014 06:33 PM

We are picking up our pup to bring him home from airport and just wanted to know if we should be aware of anything or if any one had any tips to make this as least stressful for our pup as possible. We have towels water treats and new bedding for crate.

GatorBytes 03-26-2014 06:37 PM

Dehydration. Have some water and pure coconut water on hand.

I recently read an article about a dog who died due to this...hot weather, stuck in crate on the tarmack - was not attended to properly as they are treated as cargo...this was an airline that promoted safe pet travel.

The poor owners could see their dog collapsed with tongue hanging out and couldn't get to it

Sealdoc 03-26-2014 06:38 PM

Where is he being shipped from, how long of shipping. I pick mine up tonight, 36 hours total from time he left the breeder.

I've been told not to mess with the pup until you get home. I am fairly close to the airport, about 30-45 min so no problem for me.

So that you dont have to worry about chasing a pup that bolted, reduce stress of an already stressed pup and most importantly not to expose the pup to virus/disease at the airport.

wyoung2153 03-26-2014 06:44 PM

I had things all set up in the back seat, I used one of those hammock things the sling in the back seat. She did great, brought towels and blankets and a toy and a cow hoof. I also believe I brought something with my scent on it and Titan's scent.. might have been the blankets I used.. so that she could hang out and get used to the smell. On this trip we stopped a couple times and I took her to go potty.. leashed only.. and actually that helped set the tone for training. She got "go potty" right off the bat and did awesome!

I had to drive 5 hours to the nearest big airport to pick up my puppy. So we had a LONG drive home. I'm curious how far away yours is?

JakodaCD OA 03-26-2014 06:56 PM

I brought paper towels just in case:) And water...Masi was in flight gosh, maybe 10 hours? and came flying out of a CLEAN crate ready for action:)

Daisyline 03-26-2014 07:08 PM

His flight will be about 2hrs with a hour drive home. So not as bad as some of y'all's who had ten hour flights or 5 hr drives. So I'm thankful for that. I also read the same article about the dog that died through dehydration that's why I was so nervous to ship him but I felt a little better because it was only two hours.

Daisyline 03-26-2014 07:09 PM

45 min till we pic him up. Just a warning this thread will be extremely pic heavy

wyoung2153 03-26-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 5273786)
I brought paper towels just in case:) And water...Masi was in flight gosh, maybe 10 hours? and came flying out of a CLEAN crate ready for action:)

Oh OH yes! This!!! We did this too.. lol. and a non toxic cleaner and plastic baggies :)

DaniFani 03-26-2014 07:40 PM

2 hours shouldn't be bad at all. Mine came off a 16-18 hour flight time (time put in crate to get to me). He was only 9/10 weeks, so he peed in the crate. The crate STUNK! Poor guy held as much as he could. He bounded out of the crate, looked for a place and peed, a LOT…then was just happy as could be, lots of loving and jumping…just so happy to be out of the crate and with people. We brought a clean/fresh crate and put the other one in the truck bed. Water, leash, collar….that's about it…it was also another 3 hours until we got home. Then he got a bath, he was stinky.