German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Puppy to young for training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/429762-puppy-young-training.html)

KHLOE 03-26-2014 06:19 PM

Puppy to young for training

I can not wait for my 3 month old to be 6 months and old enough to start her training school!!! I took her to the dog park for 2 hours yesterday in hopes to tire her out for the 3 rainy days we are about to have. She was still up all night!! And destroyed my glasses and bit my nose and broke skin. She has also made the whole she has started under our bed much bigger. I don't know what to do with her I don't think my skin and furniture can take much more of this abuse! Any suggestions?

A girl and her dog 03-26-2014 06:35 PM

Get a crate/kennel. She is not too young to train. Basic obedience can be taught as young as 4-6 weeks. You should already be working with her for 'sit' and 'down'. I have a Chi and a gs/mix and both were taught sit/down by 8 weeks. The gs/mix is now 4m and can sit, stay, down, turn circles, and be brought out off-leash with good recall. So can the Chi.

You're letting your pup get away with too much. I know I'm being blunt, but there's no other way to put it.

If you do nothing else today, get a crate!! Use it! Get two, one for the bedroom and one for the general area of the house. but get at least ONE today and use it.

KHLOE 03-26-2014 06:46 PM

Yeah my dog is trained to sit and usually does expecting a treat of course but she just gets very rowdy! She can sit and comes when called and we do off leash training at the dog park with and without other dogs she does pretty good and comes when called but no matter what I do I cant get the puppy nipping to stop it hurts too because she is so strong. We have a crate for when we are gone but she gets so rebellious once we let her out because she is mad we put her in there in the first place. also a weird thing she does is she lays in the grass outside for hours refusing to walk just people watching then comes inside to run circles...

wyoung2153 03-26-2014 06:57 PM

Titan new most basic commands, at 8 weeks.. so you definitely can start training at this age :) about the laying in the grass.. probably just her curiosity and then wanting to come in and expend energy. Ha. Also with the crate.. do you only put her in there when you go somewhere and how do you get her in there and do you put anything in there with her ever like a chew?

KHLOE 03-26-2014 07:00 PM

She sleeps in the crate at night I put her in there when we go to shower and when we leave. We put in squeak toys and always chew bones and toys because I know she is teething! I think It may have something to do with the fact that she doesn't see me as her pack leader. Do you know anything about that?

A girl and her dog 03-26-2014 10:28 PM

Hopefully someone with more GSD specific experience will chime in soon. Here's what I think- she's nipping b/c that's what they do. Not b/c she's 'mad' at you for crating her. She just has lots of energy that needs to be spent. You have to find ways to direct her energy like playing fetch, or training. Really engage her and give her something to do. You can't just put them outside and expect them to burn off their energy. She comes in and goes nuts b/c she wants YOU and wants to play with YOU. :)

As far as being the pack leader- that is an essence that you project. It's not something the dog will just 'do.' I am an assertive and authoritative person, so that comes naturally to me. I stay several steps ahead of my dogs instead of just responding to what they're doing in a given moment. I have a plan in mind all the time, I think out what we're about to do and what I want them to do. For example: If we're about to go for a car ride, I think about where all we have to go, what I want them to do in the car and where I want them to sit in the car before we even get IN the car. Before I even let them know we're going out, I have it mapped out. Sure, things go awry sometimes and I have to make adjustments but it's easier b/c I have a plan. I have a particularly difficult Chi that constantly tries to get away with doing whatever he wants and not listening. I have to stay two steps ahead of him. It is exhausting at times, but it is the only way.

My point is that you have to decide that you are the leader and be the leader. You can't just react when things go off track, you have to create the track and keep them on it. I hope that helps, and I hope more advice comes your way :) Good luck!

SunCzarina 03-26-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHLOE (Post 5273706)
also a weird thing she does is she lays in the grass outside for hours refusing to walk just people watching then comes inside to run circles...

Not weird, she's learning, stimulating her puppy brain.

Are you taking her out to places like home depot, sitting on the bench at the grocery store, leaving the house to people watch?

I put Venus in a fold up shopping cart and wheeled her around. People asked me some weird questions but I had to walk my big male. Venus would scream if I left her home so she rolled around the neighborhood in a cart.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...55920623_n.jpg

Samson2013 03-30-2014 05:22 PM

Xx

Sent from Petguide.com Free App