German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   UTI's (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/429626-utis.html)

andrea04 03-26-2014 08:18 AM

UTI's

I have to ask if anyone else out there with a female GSD has had issues with UTI's. Lucie had one an just recently finished her medication and a few days later I noticed the same symptoms again. I'm waiting on my vet to confirm it this morning. Is there anything I can do to help prevent these?? I don't want my pup to be hurting and continue to get them. Any help or advice would be great!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Daisyline 03-26-2014 08:41 AM

I had this with one of my pups (non gsd) what are vet said is when she pees she squatting too low and getting dirt and bacteria and to try and make her not squat so low.

andrea04 03-26-2014 08:53 AM

Surprisingly she doesn't squat low she almost stays in a standing position just barely squats. She doesn't spend much time cleaning that area as she first did which was the reason I thought she got one in the first place.

Momto2GSDs 03-26-2014 09:09 AM

If you want try try something natural in her food every day, below are a few things that could help.

"Cranberry Extract has proven by many to be what they call the "magic bullet" needed to treat, prevent, and control the formation of struvite crystals in cats and bladder stones in dogs. This Cranberry and its extract or concentrated form in products is toxic free and will dissolve struvite crystals sometimes within a few hours.
Not until 1984 did dr. Anthony Sobota and his staff succeed in showing that cranberry extract works by preventing the rod-shaped bacteria fron sticking to mucosa of the urinary tracts. In this way they were flushed out with the urine.
Cranberry contains - among other things - the sugar substance D-mannose which has the special ability of being able to prevent harmful bacteria from sticking to the walls of the mucosal wall without harming the friendly-minded bacteria. They also contain the substance arbutin which is effective against certain bacteria and fungi, among others the Candida fungus. " wholedog.org
You can get this at a local Health Food Store. NOTE that it is a concentrate and no sugar is added. 1 to 2 Tablespoons per meal.

Here is an Herbal: K & B (Herbal Tincture) - 2 oz by Nutritional Frontiers

Natural Vitamin C (derived from whole foods...no chemicals used) with bio-flavonoids. Introduce slowly and when loose stool is seen, back off to previous dose.
Pure Radiance C - Organic Wholefood Vitamin C
Garden of Life | Products for Life | Living Nutrients | Living Vitamin C?

Bragg's Organic, Un-refined Apple Cider Vinegar from a local health food store. Store bought refined ACV does not have the medicinal properties.

Apple cider vinegar is a rich source of enzymes, potassium and other useful minerals that can prevent the bacteria that cause UTIs from multiplying or growing.
Work up to amount below of Apple Cider Vinegar added to the dogs’ food twice daily. ACV has multiple uses such as for allergies, hot spots, skin problems, digestion issues, ear infections, tear stains, arthritis UTI's and many other ailments! ACV is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral. If dog is adverse to ACV, mix with equal parts of natural Chicken or Beef broth (no salt or fat).
25# to 50# = 1 teaspoon per day divided
50# to 75# = 2 teaspoons per day divided
75# to 100# = 1 Tablespoon per day divided

Whichever supplement is chosen it should be introduced slowly and at half rate to your dogs diet to not cause gut upset.
All dogs' systems are different so what may work for one will not work for another. You need to find what clicks with your dog. After being on one of the above for 4 to 6 weeks, collect urine sample and have it tested by your vet to see if it helped. If not, move on to the next item. I personally use 2 products for our female whose PH numbers run high.

Hope this helps!
Moms:)

andrea04 03-26-2014 09:28 AM

We will try one of those. Thanks for the advice!!!!

Momto2GSDs 03-26-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrea04 (Post 5271010)
We will try one of those. Thanks for the advice!!!!

Hope one works for you!http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...PPA3O6zL_D.gif
They did for our dog.
Momshttp://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...xM_f3u022S.gif

andrea04 03-26-2014 01:28 PM

So the vet said there was a trace amount which I assume is bc the original infection wasn't cleared up with the 10 days of antibiotics so she's on another 10 days of them

Jax08 03-26-2014 02:56 PM

D-mannose. It's a sugar that strips e-coli of it's outer wall and kills it. E-coli is responsible for most UTI's.

1 tsp 2x day. Most health food stores will have it.

I've used it myself and it works.

LynneLittlefield 03-26-2014 02:56 PM

I hope your puppy gets well soon. The natural remedies seem like a good choice.

Momto2GSDs 03-26-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrea04 (Post 5272218)
So the vet said there was a trace amount which I assume is bc the original infection wasn't cleared up with the 10 days of antibiotics so she's on another 10 days of them

Andrea,
Make sure you are giving a Probiotic with the antibiotics so that gut problems don't develop too!:eek: The antibiotics kill the "good stuff" in the gut!

The following are Human Grade and mostly organic ingredients:
Digest All Plus: The Wholistic Pet
Sunday Sundae: Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement

Good Luck! I hope she is better soon!
Moms:)