introducing new puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default introducing new puppy

I've been searching through old posts but cant seem to find any info on bringing in a new puppy. I'm sure its been asked before.. We have time - he wont be here until the end of Aug. but I'd like to read up on this. My female is a bit dog reactive so I'm nervous about the introduction. Any thoughts?
maxdog630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One of ours is selectively reactive, she's fine with some, others not so much. When we were about to bring Ranger home (just shy of 4 months old) we decided to do it on neutral territory as a precaution, turned out she loves him... Well she did at one time anyways, now he's a pain in her butt lol! Are you looking for a male?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, we have a male coming. The breeder expects the puppies to be ready in aug. She doesn't breed often and has a wait list so we are pretty excited.

Did you keep them separate until the puppy was older? I'm just unsure about the best way to handle the puppy trying to climb all over her and everything that goes along with puppies. I've made some mistakes with my female and just not looking to repeat..
maxdog630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

following this thread.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We kept Ranger crated when we could not supervise them, otherwise he was out and about with our two females. He was almost 4 mo, potty trained and had some basic OB when we got him, he's also very confident. When play got too rough, Tuke our goofball, had no problem correcting him, always quick, firm, and proportionate to the offense. Zoey the dog I mentioned earlier seemed to look to us when she'd had enough of him, but after being with us for a month or so, she decided his puppy pass had expired.

Every dog is different so it's tough to say how yours will react. Having your dog meet the pup on neutral ground could help. I've heard others bringing home something with the new pups smell prior to the homecoming.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

What I did with one dog I had is I took a crate and placed it where the new puppy crate was going to be a week before I brought the puppy home. My dog got used to that crate sitting there. I then introduced them at a place my older dog has never been. My husband and I drove separately. Then when we took the puppy home he went to the crate and the dog laid in front of it sniffing the puppy out and the puppy just I'd let the puppy out after the older dog calmed down and we played with the older dog as the puppy walked out of the crate. They did seem to be fine but I watched the two like a hawk!

Geist- White German Shepherd- 1/2014
LoveDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Puppies usually get a 'pass' and most dogs will tolerate the puppy.
Both of my females are fairly reactive and dog aggressive, but they are ok with puppies. I firmly let them know they need to be gentle during the introduction stage, and supervise all interactions.
I'd never want a puppy to feel bullied by another dog, and would remove the pup from any situation that could take away that confidence.
Like posted by Nigel, they are all different but most often puppies tend to get away with things that any other dog would not.
I think the teenage phase is more of an issue, especially if you have same gender dogs living together and there is a challenge for the higher positions in the pack.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Some good tips have been posted. Apparently I was very lucky with Gunther my Bullmastiff mix. He loved puppies so it was never a problem. Pretty much brought the pup home and said here you go Gunther you two have fun!

Don't think I would take that approach today sometimes "ignorance" is bliss. Not a recommended approach however.

Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I've done all my pup intros the same way. I sit on the driveway in front of the house with the pup between my legs. I have my wife let the adult dog out and they are allowed to sniff, lick, etc under my supervision and control. No unsupervised contact or play until I'm 100% comfortable with it, but that's not much of an issue since a puppy should only be unsupervised when crated.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

a lot of you guys gave some helpful stuff about introductions, but what about arguments over toys or water bowls etc?
My female gives puppies the 'puppy pass', but she's guardy towards dogs over her food/water and if she is playing with me and a dog comes in her 3 foot radius she tells them off with a snarl. I'm planning on getting a second dog down the line and I will avoid playing with the second dog loose, plan on feeding meals in crates, but not sure what to do about the water or bones laying on the ground except supervise forever. Is that something they just sort of figure out after you spend a lot of time managing it? I know a few times mouthing off and a puppy gets the idea to leave the older dog alone, just not sure about this or how long that usually takes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.