1 month old Aries - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1 month old Aries

Hey there people. I am new to this forum and had a few questions about my new puppy as well. Lets get started.

First. I tried to take her out on the first walk to where she didn't move at all. She whined until I jus oicked her up. I got pads for inside the apartment for now. She nibbles on things. Idk if that's gonna be a habbit or she was playing but I'm keeping an eye on THAT. And I was just wondering how can I get the process of getting her to go bathroom outside. I'm sure most of this is because she is trying to get used to things but just curious thanks for all comments and answers
owens91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just re read your post, 1 month old is way to young to be walking about, every other day or so there is a new parvo post popping up and it seems to be on the rise, i would stick with pee pads and limit outside things, also if you dont mind me asking how did you come about getting a puppy so young? they are usually not ready to leave mom until 8 weeks or so,
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A four week old puppy is not ready to be fully house trained yet. Keep an x-pen in the house with newspapers and clean it frequently. Put another x-pen outside in an area that NO OTHER DOG are running in, and put your puppy in the x-pen, and let her play with toys, and sit out there with her. When she does potty -- set this up by taking her out after she wakes up, every time, and after she eats, etc., when she does potty outside, tell her what a good puppy she is and giver her a small piece of cheese. Do not expect her to really get it yet.

No walks at 4 weeks. Sorry. Your puppy is not safe, not vaccinated and even after it is vaccinated, it won't be protected, you need to wait on that.

She ought to sleep a LOT, and she should not be alone much. I would put a big stuffed toy in her area that she can snuggle against.

Is there anyway you can return her for a few more weeks. Only in the most dire circumstances -- dam and siblings perished, that a pup should be raised away from them at this age. They can teach your pup stuff you will have a terrible time teaching her.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are you correct in saying that your pup is 4 weeks old? What were the circumstances causing you to take her in so young?
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

....yeah, I am very curious to know if this puppy is really only around 4-5weeks of age. If so I hope he's been to the vet and you're not taking him outside anymore...potty training won't even be on the table for another 4 weeks easily...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kodiak (called Kodi)-born summer of 2009 (4 years old)
FortheLoveofChari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well my friend had bought her in nyc for her sis but the sis didn't want her. I thought that was pretty young as well. I will hold of on the walks I guess. Till atleast I get those shots. How old do they have to be to get them? She does eat the puppy chow with wet food as well so that's a possitive I guess. There is one ither dog with us. A yorkie a year old tho
Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here's a few pics

Old 03-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Poor baby. The Yorkie may help the puppy not feels so alone and might help the puppy learn some canine manners and body language, if the Yorkie is not going to bite the puppy.

This is really important though so I am going to give it in steps:

1. The puppy's immune system works off the cholostrum of its dam that it drinks during the first 2 days of life.

2. While the puppy is under its mother's immune system, vaccinations will not be effective.

3. Nobody knows when the mother's immune system no longer works for individual puppies.

4. Vets will generally give a series of puppy shots, every 3-4 weeks from 6 weeks on up, to hopefully cover the puppy when the vaccine will not be ineffective, and to boost it.

5. It takes a couple of days AFTER vaccination AFTER the mother's immune system stops for the puppy to build up protective antibodies against the killer-diseases.

7. This puppy needs wormer too. It needs wormer now and every two weeks until it is about 8 weeks old, then every 4 weeks until it completes it's shot schedule.

8. Normally, it is safe to take a puppy to places without high canine traffic after the second set of vaccinations, two to three days after the second set of vaccinations. So if you do it at 6 weeks, and 10 weeks, you can take the pup out for a walk around the block at 10.5 weeks. No pet stores. Hold the puppy at the vet, do not walk it in or walk it out.

9. Usually it is ok to set it on the table, I would ask. Bring it in a carrier -- do NOT let other dogs sniff it while you are there, or let other people pet it. Sorry. Have them weigh the carrier with the pup, and then weigh the carrier.

Trust me, they do not wipe down that scale between canine guests. And your puppy needs to be kept as safe as possible.

Good luck with your puppy.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Any idea in what these starter shots are called?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You will want a distemper/parvo(DHPP) vaccine around 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and 16 weeks. Until those are finished, don't let the pup outside on the ground in any public areas where strange dogs *could* have been.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.