German Shepherds Forum banner

Another crate accident.

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  nktigger99 
#1 ·
So if you look back at the other threads in forum category, you can see that I posted a thread regarding almost the same issue that I'm about to post about now. So check back at it if you haven't already, to make sure that you understand what I'm talking about. :help:
To start off someone in the other forum told me that not giving Rosco any water after 7 pm would help (that's what he/she does when house training). I was a bit unsure. going through a whole 12 hours without water... well i tries it anyway because I didn't want another crate accident happening again. So a little time after 6 pm I fed Rosco and 30 minutes later i took him out to pee. And he didn't go... that was a bit weird because earlier at like 5 pm after our walk he drank A LOT of water. So i stayed outside for 45 min waiting for him to go pee, which he didn't. I took him inside because all he was doing was lying on the grass trying to sleep. I brought him in and he had more water and i took his water dish away. I waited another hour before my mom took him out again, and she said he didn't pee just poop. Another hour or 2 later (after his nap) my mom took him out again because i was in the shower. She told me that he didn't pee again. Now I was getting really concerned. It was bedtime now so I put him in his crate. He all night he cried. But unlike last night he howled almost like he was in pain sometimes. So much worse than the first night we had. At 1 am I took him outside to see if had to pee (didn't take him out at night the night before). And he DIDN'T GO PEE!!!! So we stood outside for 5 minutes and all he did was lie down and stare at me. So i tried walking around but all he did was sit down in the wet grass (it was pouring outside). So I thought that he just didn't have to go. I brought him back inside and put him in his crate. A few hours later (at around 5 am) I heard him peeing in his crate. I quickly took him out of his crate and cleaned up his mess. I put him back in and that was that. Why didn't he go pee the times we took him out? I'm sure that he had to go? Why only in his crate? I wonder if it was because it was raining outside that he didn't want to go. He was panting soooo much when I took him out at night. He looked very thirsty and he still is. Many people told me to get a divider to make his crate small but actually I think it fits him almost perfectly. The crate is only 1 or 2 inches longer than he is. And he was just fine taking several naps in it through out the day. As a matter of fact that's all he wanted to do! I know that a few people told me not to let him sleep in the evening much so that he's tired for bed but how am I supposed to do that? When I try to play a game with him he just lies down and tries to sleep on the floor. At night hes just awful in there! I feel like I'm torturing him in there. He always wants to be with me, and I have to lock him up at night. Do you think I could leave the crate open at night so that he can go in and out of it? I know he's fine in it as long as he's not locked in it. I don't know what do you guys think? Am i doing something wrong?
I am REALLY sorry for the super long story. I don't like to skip out information that could be important.
Oh and by the way he's doing really well in the house so far. He hasn't had a single accident inside yet (except for the one in the crate).
Thanks sooo much, i appreciate all of your advice:wub:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Every time my boyfriend took my pup out to pee, he didn't know if he was peeing or not because of the discreet way he'd pee. Lol. Are you super sure he's not peeing? My pup stands in one spot semi-leaning his lower end toward the ground.. doesn't even look like he's peeing, but he is. I had to show my BF the way he stands, where he stands, etc. You should also try to keep 1 designated area for potty, it'll also help with knowing when your pup goes or not cuz they'll always go back to that spot to go and as much as it sucks, take him out every 2-4 hours. I've been waking up 2 or 3 times a night just to take him potty and sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't, but he's never pee'd in the crate. When he pee's outside, click and reward if you're click training or just give him lots of vocal praise so he knows when you take him out to potty, he should potty.

When he pees, does he pee A LOT or is it a small amount? If he doesn't pee all day and only pee's a little, you might wanna take him to the vet.. could be a bladder infection or UTI.. or something else, IDK. :\

#4 ·
If I knew the puppy needed to pee then I spent as much time outside as needed and threw a praise party when it finally happened, sometimes it was 5 seconds and sometimes it was over 30 minutes.

The fact he was refusing and then howling sounds like he might have a UTI or something else causing him pain

#5 ·
How old is your pup? Some dogs are very stubborn and this takes a long time to train. It can make you insane but do your best not to get mad at the puppy. If it was me I would take him out as often as I can until he does pee outside and you see it then throw a party like he just won the lotto! I think it helps if you take them to the same area to pee every time. Make sure you get a cleaner with enzymes to remove the pee smell from the crate. I don't know for sure if it would help but if it is a plastic crate you could try dumping the pee from the crate outside where you expect him to go. Once a dog goes in a certain area they associate that with the place to pee if that smell is around. I had similar issues with my girl, if you have patience and are really positive when they go outside eventually it just clicks with them that this is the correct spot. Then it is just a matter of being vigilant with cleaning up any spots inside with a good cleaner. I also suggest if you see them start to pee inside take them right outside to the spot where you want them to pee. Also a key word for when you want them to go helps like potty or whatever.

#11 ·
Please take your puppy to the vet to rule out any sort of urinary tract infection or genitourinary organ issues. Once you know FOR SURE there is nothing health-wise causing the problem, you can safely concentrate on training/behavioral solutions.

#12 ·
I think a visit to the vet would be my first step. Are you using a potty cue word or phrase? That really has helped with Abby....I say "go potty" and she pees most of the time. We have yet to have an accident in the crate....a few in the house all my fault. She had 3 nights of a little whining but last night was none. I would not trust a pup lose at night....just to much can happen.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#13 ·
Everyone has given great advice. Definitely get your pup to the vet just to be on the safe side. And if you've given your pup plenty of water, take him out and stay out there until he goes. Whether it's 2 minutes or 50. Well, that's what I did. I think I smoked tons of cigars when I first got my boy. I wouldn't leave the crate open. If he is going in there, he will go anywhere in the house. Once cleared by the vet, keep at it and it will all get easier. And for the crying when in his crate, that's life. He'll have to learn to deal with being in his crate when you need him to be. But I'd start at the vet and take it from there. Also, how long have you had him? Maybe that has something to do with it too. Good luck!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.