How to make the crate thing go away. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation How to make the crate thing go away.

So today or yesterday i guess you could say; we got our gsd puppy Rosco. Everything was going good until it was time to go to bed (already knew this was going to happen). He wouldnt get in the crate no mater what. i lured him in half way and then (sorry to say) pushed the rest of him in the crate. And he cried and cried and never went to sleep. i have been awake since i went to sleep. And just recently I suddenly heard him stop whining and i thought "oh good hes stopped whining"! lol nope! I started to hear him pee. I took him out to pee right before bed and didnt give him any water after that. So I took him out and had to take out his blanket and clean his crate. So now I am (2 am) here writing this because there is no point in trying to sleep tonight as he is still going at it.
So i was wondering if i should set an alarm at night so that i can take him out to pee? And how do i get him in his crate at night without forcing him? How long before he's actually going to have a good night's rest?
I know that its only the first night but im just wondering ahead of time.
And i really don't want him hating his crate!
Germanshepherdlover2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey, I just got my puppy today too! He is right now sleeping in his crate (5AM) and is sound asleep! The thing I did was get a crate with a divider so that he doesn't have room to go on the other side of the crate to pee/poop. He has enough room to stand up turn around and lay down. I would suggest you get a divider! Also, for the whining part, I suggest you tire your pup out before you get him to go into the cage, you want him to know that the cage is a safe place for him to be. What I did was play with his chew toys and let him tire himself out before I lured him into the cage with his stuffed animal that he sleeps with. I would say my pup is a good sleeper, but maybe tomorrow he can be the opposite!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensLife View Post
Hey, I just got my puppy today too! He is right now sleeping in his crate (5AM) and is sound asleep! The thing I did was get a crate with a divider so that he doesn't have room to go on the other side of the crate to pee/poop. He has enough room to stand up turn around and lay down. I would suggest you get a divider! Also, for the whining part, I suggest you tire your pup out before you get him to go into the cage, you want him to know that the cage is a safe place for him to be. What I did was play with his chew toys and let him tire himself out before I lured him into the cage with his stuffed animal that he sleeps with. I would say my pup is a good sleeper, but maybe tomorrow he can be the opposite!
haha awesome! Is he a gsd pup? Where can i get a divider from? I didnt see one at the pet store. And is there a different divider for different brands of crates or is a divider used for any crate on the market?
Germanshepherdlover2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yup, he's a GSD! And you can probably get a divider for your cage if it's a wired one, from amazon. It's just a divider like the wire cages, and it hooks on to the sides of the cage when you put it inside !

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Was the pup introduced to a crate at the breeders? I think that has made it easier for Abby....I put her in the crate....she whines for a few seconds then she stops. She whines when needed to go out.

I do not have anything in the crate.....I think that would cause Abby to have accidents in her crate. We picked up Abby on Saturday.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

For a while you will probably need to set your alarm and take your pup out during the night. I took mine out every 2 hours for the first week or so. I stopped when I found that he wasn't going until the 4 am time and just set my clock for then. Most can't hold it that long and you don't want them to start using their crate as a bathroom because it's difficult to get them to stop.

It takes a few days sometimes for them to get used to being in the crate. Google crate games and start teaching him that crates are good things.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Try putting some treats in the crate for him to find. That's what we did the first day we brought our Jazz home. Lure him in with treats and say "yes" when he goes in. Let him come out right away and throw some more in. Repeat a few times so that he knows the crate is a positive thing. Lure him in at night with treats when it's time to go to bed and everytime you crate him. That's what worked for us and as a result we had no problems with Jazz accepting the crate. She now goes into her crate on her own. As for a divider, I couldn't find one so I put a box in the back of the crate to make it smaller. Worked like a charm. As far as getting up in the middle of the night, I'm a light sleeper so get up when I hear her whine ... sometimes it's a 2:30 sometimes 3:30 and sometimes 4:30. I take her out, she pees and then we both go right back to bed.
graciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think it's a good idea to put him in a crate a few brief session through out the day. You need to give his crate a name ..."place" "crate" "space" etc. Maybe pick up a puppy size kong chew and freeze some turkey broth or peanut butter in it. This will be his special crate toy. Make sure he doesn't have to go potty. When you get ready to let him out, wait for that moment of quiet . It may only be for a few seconds, so you have to react quick . Never let him out while crying or actively scratching the gate. So be prepared to wait for that second of quiet. Just wait for it. Only let him have his special treat/toy in the crate. And I know it sounds cold, but never leave blankets, pads, stuffed animals or toys alone with a puppy in a crate unsupervised . Hope this helps a little. Eventually his crate will be his "safe place" and he'll just go hang out in there when he wants to "get away from it all"
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

When I got my puppy I think I took her out every two hours even at night. It was a ton of work my wife and I had to swap shifts and we didn't sleep well for the first couple of months.

There were quite a few nights I slept on the floor next to the crate the first couple of weeks so she would not whine, at least my wife got some sleep that way.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

LOL, i have got opposite problem, my puppy is now 14 month and crate she is free to roam around her crate is open so she can go in and out as she pleases. She tend to spend time lying on bed next to crate however when I decided to remove crate entirly, she was so distressed and crying for at leat 30 minutes that I had to bring it back. I want her to use bed and put crate in storage, is there any way to do so withou causing distress?
Waldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.