Is this ok? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is this ok?

Brought our pup to the grocery store today, just outside the entrance where she was able to see everyone coming and going and the doors sliding open and the sounds and what not... and first she was trembling like a leaf, but fairly quickly settled down next to my feet and was just observing all the going ons and her shaking was basically gone. She was also accepting treats from me (whenever she gave me eye contact I was marking and rewarding that behaviour).

Also right before we got to the entrance of the grocery store a plane flew pretty low overhead, and startled her considerably. She recovered within reason though and stopped trying to flee and came to me when I called, was this too much for her? We were only there for maybe 10min... and the plane was/is unfortunately nothing I can control as we live right next to the airport...

I just don't want to be messing things up for her before we really begin D:
Tattersail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

if you had been moving right along less attention would have been paid to the doors .
there is more to it than just distracting and getting focus , the dog has to deal .

next time you go , visit the same place but this time when the door opens you walk in , head for the nearest exit , or if there is no entry foyer , then do an about turn and come right back out.

the motion is exciting and the dog doesn't focus on what it is uncomfortable with, plus you have the focus and obedience , which you reward , win win win.

how old is the pup.

seems like there is some sensitivity

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How old is the puppy? I have a somewhat shy dog, doesnt like to be petted by everyone, but has never shown shaking or scared of noises, but I think the principles are the same. What helped me was reading up on Counter conditioning and desensitizing. Sounds like your okay with what your doing. Taking treats from you is a good sign.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...erconditioning

Last edited by Msmaria; 03-17-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yup if the dog is eating youre probably ok. Listen to carmen regarding the keeping the pup moving thing.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the answers guys!

She's young yet, almost 11 weeks (She's a Shiloh Shepherd if that makes any difference in socialization). Am I maybe starting a little too young? People wanted to come up and pet her all the time, but I asked them to just allow her to approach them, if she did then fine but if not, to just let her be as this is new to her and she seemed much more interested in using her little nose as people walked by as opposed to greeting and what not.

We plan on starting some puppy social classes in the next week or so, should I start with that and gradually build up to bigger experiences, or should I just kind of go along with her in situations I know are safe and act like it's not a big deal while she works things out?

This is only my second puppy... and I made a lot of mistakes with our old guy... I didn't socialize him nearly enough, but he had the patience with me to allow me to figure things out, and by the end, he was everything I could have asked for... Went through **** and back though and am trying to avoid that this time!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hm not sure how to edit but I meant to say 10 weeks... not 11
Old 03-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would continue doing what you are doing .
You can customize your program to what you need and want .
"classes" tend to have formats and timelines , whether the dog is ready or not , and often too much wild play with the other pups .

Carmspack
Old 03-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
if you had been moving right along less attention would have been paid to the doors .
there is more to it than just distracting and getting focus , the dog has to deal .

next time you go , visit the same place but this time when the door opens you walk in , head for the nearest exit , or if there is no entry foyer , then do an about turn and come right back out.

the motion is exciting and the dog doesn't focus on what it is uncomfortable with, plus you have the focus and obedience , which you reward , win win win.

how old is the pup.

seems like there is some sensitivity
Maybe in Ontario you can walk into a grocery store with a dog, but in NE Ohio, it had better be a service dog.

I tell the dog, "Oh, the magic doors." and then go over and sit on the bench. Watch the world go by for a few minutes, and maybe meet a person and head off.

At some point down the road, usually before they are too old for the 10.99 puppy bath and brush, < 6 months, we will go through the magic doors at PetsMart a few times, and they get used to them.

It is ok for a puppy to startle, as long as the pup recovers relatively quickly -- he realizes that you aren't freaked out by the doors and he trusts you, so he gets over it. If they are eating, they are probably not too freaked out. Kind of a rule of thumb.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

didn't say go into the grocery . I enter one set do a sharp turn around and exit the other door , in and out often being side by side .

it works out well because you don't linger and you don't encounter dogs-behaving-badly , and the dog isn't pounced on by admirers. People tend to behave more normally , pre-occupied with the day to day of their own lives , than they do at the petsmarty .

Carmspack
Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well stuff gets boring when everyone agrees! Sooo I think your moving to fast still. Not wrong but to fast. I'd walk my puppy around my neighborhood just letting him observe stuff. If he looks comfortable and someone wants to pet him fine. Then after a couple of weeks of that I'd move to step it up.

That "first she was trembling like a leaf" and then was fine means you caught a break! Had you waited maybe there would have been no "trembling?"

puppy development stages | Wonder Puppy
Dog Club, Critical periods in your puppy’s psychological growth

I'm certainly not an expert but my go slow approach paid off for me big time with my GSD with his people issues.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.