German Shepherds Forum banner

Limping puppy, Need Advice!

752 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  loulabelle23 
#1 ·
I'm going to try to keep this short, but still as much useful info as I can.

A few days ago my little guy Gator started limping after a walk (1.5 miles) unfortunately due to the very cold winter he hadn't been getting many walks up until a few weeks ago. He is 6.5 months old and weighs about 65 lbs, is not overweight at all but he is a large puppy for his age. He is from a very reputable breeder and his parents had good OFA certifications. For the past few days I have limited his exercise. It is usually a very slight limp, almost undetectable at times.

The breeder started him on Eukenuba LBP and I stuck with it because he didn't like Fromm when I tried it but a few weeks back I started to slowly transition him to Infinia adult food (the transition is just about complete and he gets almost all infinia now). He get's 4.5 cups throughout 4 feedings each day.

I have looked into pano, but as of yet it is only the 1 leg so I'm not sure if that could be what it is. Aside from the slight favoring of the opposite leg it doesn't seem to bother him at all, he doesn't show any other signs of pain. I can touch and move his leg around and it doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest.

I'm am just looking for advice on whether or not I should continue limiting his exercise or should I let him work it off. Unfortunately I do not have a fenced in yard and it's too cold yet to install my planned invisible fence so I am forced to use a tie out. I have been avoiding the tie out the past few days because I don't want him to hurt himself further. I want to avoid walks because if I get down the street and he starts limping bad I can't carry him back home.

What does everyone think? Would a vet visit even be helpful seeing as how it is so slight and to an on looker unfamiliar with him might not even notice? Should I just push through it?

I appreciate all the helpful information on this forum. Being my first dog this site has been priceless.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.