German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Yard size (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/424498-yard-size.html)

Nikki-Rose 03-15-2014 01:15 AM

Yard size

Sorry if this doesn't match the main topic for this section. I had no idea which area this should go in.
I had a friends 3 German Shepherds over at my house today during a lunch party. I feel like my yard is a little small for them.

People that already own German Shepherds, does your yard/home size matter?

boomer11 03-15-2014 01:18 AM

Nope

llombardo 03-15-2014 01:20 AM

Not at all. I have 5 dogs and lived in an apartment with no yard with 4 dogs for a long time. We now have 1/2 acre, but sometimes I think that can get them in trouble. Not necessarily the GSD's but any dog in general..they find stuff to get into and its harder to keep an eye on them. I'm moving my 10 x 20 dog run and connecting it to the house with a dog door and they can come in and out and play in there. If I'm in the yard then they can be in the yard, otherwise I want them somewhere where I know they are safe and not eating stuff.

nktigger99 03-15-2014 09:13 AM

I had a huge yard at our last house....we had three large dogs(all over the bridge now). But our yard here is small plus we have a swing set, trampoline, and pool in the summer.....but I don't think it is a bad thing actually I think it will be good forces you to be more active outside of the yard.

I have learned from my kids that a smaller thing can have the benefit of being able to manage the space better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LaRen616 03-15-2014 09:55 AM

My house is 750 sq feet and my front yard is huge and fenced in and my backyard is a decent size and also fenced in. At one point there were 2 people, 4 cats and 4 dogs living in my house. Now it's just me, 4 cats and 2 dogs. I would happily bring in a 3rd large dog and there would still be room.

misslesleedavis1 03-15-2014 11:21 AM

My yard is huge, we could fit like 9 full size trampolines in it, then we have a florida room that is huge. We converted it to a large dog house, it has sliding glass doors all around it, heaters, thick carpet and a mean chandelier from the 70's that just wont quit. In the summer we open every sliding door and put kiddie pools just outside of it for them, they have options :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kahrg4 03-15-2014 12:08 PM

I have a GSD and a Siberian Husky in a 500sqft studio with no yard. It's all about creating activities and fun outside the home.

pyratemom 03-15-2014 12:13 PM

My yard in not huge. It is big enough to set up half a rally course or the jump or tunnel for her to play though. I walk her a lot and we go places in the car for adventures. The size of the yard doesn't matter, its all in what you do with your dog. At one time I had 5 cats and 2 GSD's. They never felt crowded.

SunCzarina 03-15-2014 12:25 PM

My yard is only 1/8th acre and that's average for this neighborhood that's full of dogs. The fenced part is only about 2/3rds of the yard, in a U around my house. Even then there's garden beds they're not allowed in with narrow passages they can run around them. Years ago we had a boxhedge that was installed my previous owners too far in from the property line - the dogs used to play tag in that...

Nikki-Rose 03-15-2014 10:58 PM

Thanks everyone. This makes me feel a lot better!
My yard is about a quarter of an acre, then there is another area about the same size that has a pool but it is fenced in separately, and a lower level observation deck that's about 20x20.
I was debating sodding part of the roof for them to have more space!