Pyppy's first week at home... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
OggDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13
Default Pyppy's first week at home...

Hello all,

I would like to hear everyone's experience with the first week or so once their puppy came home. How was the puppy's first night? Did you take first few days to bond and play or did training start immediately. How well was your puppy adjusted to the crate on the first night and how long it took them to settle down?

Please share things you did in those first initial days or any recommendations for newbies.

Regards,
__________________
Lord, help me be the person my dog thinks I am!
OggDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Msmaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 2,214
Default

Welcome to the forum. Cant wait to see pictures.

My week was alot different because I had 3 puppies first week. I do remember not getting much sleep and feeling dead on my feet. The rest was a blur lol. We didnt do any training other than potty training, but alot of members here also do crate training. I think its good to bond with your puppy before doing too much. Whatever training you decide to do make it alot of fun. You will find out if your puppy is food or toy motivated and go from there.

Congratulations on your new pup
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Stosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: tyler texas
Posts: 9,577
Default

I kept Stosh in a crate by my bed for the first 4 weeks or so. He's always been calm and quiet so he settled down quickly, but did wake up when he needed to go out. After he was quiet through the night I moved him out of the bedroom (still in the crate) without any problems. I was lucky, he was a very easy pup
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
sourdough44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 193
Default

Unless you need good sleep for work, I'd try to have the pup nearby, crated, while you sleep. You can get up at times to let him/her out for a bit.

It's been about 6 weeks & I still come down & sleep on the couch once I get up about midnight-1 A.M. & spend the rest near the dog. She likes it very much and I have her to myself. I also usually sleep just as well as the real bed.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
OggDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
Welcome to the forum. Cant wait to see pictures.

My week was alot different because I had 3 puppies first week. I do remember not getting much sleep and feeling dead on my feet. The rest was a blur lol. We didnt do any training other than potty training, but alot of members here also do crate training. I think its good to bond with your puppy before doing too much. Whatever training you decide to do make it alot of fun. You will find out if your puppy is food or toy motivated and go from there.

Congratulations on your new pup
I do not have a pup yet. I am on a long research quest to find out what I can expect if and when I get one. Hopefully next year.

Once you are back on your regular work schedule and may not be able to come back to let the pup out of the crate for 8h, would it be acceptable to leave them in a playpen with pads where they can relieve themselves? If not, for how long would I have to come back home from work every few hours to let them out until their bladders are capable of keeping it in?
__________________
Lord, help me be the person my dog thinks I am!
OggDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
LaRen616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 13,721
Default

I brought Sinister home when he was 11 weeks old, he pretty much screamed the whole car ride home. We bonded immediately, he was totally into me and so sweet, cuddly and so adorable, he was never a landshark so he never mouthed us and he didn't chew on anything that wasn't his. He slept in his crate without a peep his first night and from then on, he loved his crate, we woke up every 2 hours to take him out to potty. He never had a single crate accident. The first week we had him we had 2 potty accidents and never had another one after that. We didn't really work on anything that first week, we started training the second week we had him.

I brought Draco home when he was 11 weeks old, he cried for the first 10 minutes on the drive home and then he fell asleep and didn't make a peep for the rest of the 2.5 hour ride. We also bonded immediately, he was so freaking adorable, he was so sweet, he never mouthed us and I had been waiting a long time to get a Dalmatian puppy. He HATED the crate, he absolutely refused to sleep in it so he ended up in my bed his first night home and he stayed in my bed until he was 6 months old and now he sleeps on a big dog bed on the floor with my GSD. I woke up every 2 hours to take him out to potty only for a couple of nights and then I switched it to every 4 hours. He never pottied in the bed. We also didn't work on any training the first week. I actually didn't start working with him until he was like 14-15 weeks old.

Recommendation, get as much sleep as you can now, get a crate for your puppy, get lots of chew toys, feed a good quality kibble, keep it fun the first couple of weeks and then work on training, don't get frustrated, enjoy puppyhood because it goes by fast!
__________________
Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13

Last edited by LaRen616; 03-14-2014 at 10:10 AM.
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 55
Default

Are you raising this puppy yourself or do you have a partner that will help raise?

Raising Olivia with my g/f and I helping worked well. For the first two weeks, she went to sleep at 9 and me at midnight. We would each sleep for six hours.

9pm walk with first person going to sleep
Midnight walk with second person going to sleep
3am first person wakes up and walks (6 hours straight sleep)
6am second person wakes up and walks (6 hours straight sleep)
9am first person wakes up and walks

After the second night, Olivia caught on and knew it wasn't play time, but rather get business done and back to sleep. By week three, her bladder allowed for 6 hours of sleep.

Obviously, YMMV on times, but it worked as well as we could've hoped.
Tim&Marth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,158
Default

I won't lie, my first couple of weeks with my pup were hellacious.

My pup HATED her crate, would cry if I tried to leave her even to have a shower and she was on the other side of the shower door. Don't give up on the crating though, if your pup is the same. Now my dog is WONDERFUL in her crate.

It did get better, and it didn't take long, so my advice would be not to despair if your dog is similar to mine. I think they feel very clingy because they suddenly have no littermates or mom to protect them.

It's probably not unlike bringing your first human baby home as a single mom and feeling a bit overwhelmed. You get into a routine pretty quick, so not to worry, the strangeness wears off pretty quick.

I kept my pup's crate next to my bed on a chair, so I could put my fingers in through the grate on the door, if she was fussing.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
OggDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Marth View Post
Are you raising this puppy yourself or do you have a partner that will help raise?

Raising Olivia with my g/f and I helping worked well. For the first two weeks, she went to sleep at 9 and me at midnight. We would each sleep for six hours.

9pm walk with first person going to sleep
Midnight walk with second person going to sleep
3am first person wakes up and walks (6 hours straight sleep)
6am second person wakes up and walks (6 hours straight sleep)
9am first person wakes up and walks

After the second night, Olivia caught on and knew it wasn't play time, but rather get business done and back to sleep. By week three, her bladder allowed for 6 hours of sleep.

Obviously, YMMV on times, but it worked as well as we could've hoped.
I have a partner that would help and this would be my wife.

So far there is only two of us and maybe in a year or few maybe we will have a baby. For now I am concerning myself if possible for two people like us to raise a solid dog.

No one touched on this subject yet, but how do people deal with leaving their puppy home when they go to work?

If both of you work 9-5, what do you do with your puppy during that time? This especially concerns me when they are at their early stages and can hold their bladder for 4-6 hours! yet you are away for 8 hours ? Any solutions to this other than hire someone?
__________________
Lord, help me be the person my dog thinks I am!
OggDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
LaRen616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 13,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggDog View Post
I have a partner that would help and this would be my wife.

So far there is only two of us and maybe in a year or few maybe we will have a baby. For now I am concerning myself if possible for two people like us to raise a solid dog.

No one touched on this subject yet, but how do people deal with leaving their puppy home when they go to work?

If both of you work 9-5, what do you do with your puppy during that time? This especially concerns me when they are at their early stages and can hold their bladder for 4-6 hours! yet you are away for 8 hours ? Any solutions to this other than hire someone?
I used to come home half way through my day to let my Dal puppy out, I did that until he turned 5 months old.
__________________
Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum