German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Pyppy's first week at home... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/423890-pyppys-first-week-home.html)

OggDog 03-13-2014 03:24 PM

Pyppy's first week at home...

Hello all,

I would like to hear everyone's experience with the first week or so once their puppy came home. How was the puppy's first night? Did you take first few days to bond and play or did training start immediately. How well was your puppy adjusted to the crate on the first night and how long it took them to settle down?

Please share things you did in those first initial days or any recommendations for newbies.

Regards,

Msmaria 03-13-2014 04:02 PM

Welcome to the forum. Cant wait to see pictures.

My week was alot different because I had 3 puppies first week. I do remember not getting much sleep and feeling dead on my feet. The rest was a blur lol. We didnt do any training other than potty training, but alot of members here also do crate training. I think its good to bond with your puppy before doing too much. Whatever training you decide to do make it alot of fun. You will find out if your puppy is food or toy motivated and go from there.

Congratulations on your new pup

Stosh 03-13-2014 04:05 PM

I kept Stosh in a crate by my bed for the first 4 weeks or so. He's always been calm and quiet so he settled down quickly, but did wake up when he needed to go out. After he was quiet through the night I moved him out of the bedroom (still in the crate) without any problems. I was lucky, he was a very easy pup

sourdough44 03-13-2014 07:30 PM

Unless you need good sleep for work, I'd try to have the pup nearby, crated, while you sleep. You can get up at times to let him/her out for a bit.

It's been about 6 weeks & I still come down & sleep on the couch once I get up about midnight-1 A.M. & spend the rest near the dog. She likes it very much and I have her to myself. I also usually sleep just as well as the real bed.

OggDog 03-14-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmaria (Post 5193818)
Welcome to the forum. Cant wait to see pictures.

My week was alot different because I had 3 puppies first week. I do remember not getting much sleep and feeling dead on my feet. The rest was a blur lol. We didnt do any training other than potty training, but alot of members here also do crate training. I think its good to bond with your puppy before doing too much. Whatever training you decide to do make it alot of fun. You will find out if your puppy is food or toy motivated and go from there.

Congratulations on your new pup

I do not have a pup yet. I am on a long research quest to find out what I can expect if and when I get one. Hopefully next year.

Once you are back on your regular work schedule and may not be able to come back to let the pup out of the crate for 8h, would it be acceptable to leave them in a playpen with pads where they can relieve themselves? If not, for how long would I have to come back home from work every few hours to let them out until their bladders are capable of keeping it in?

LaRen616 03-14-2014 09:08 AM

I brought Sinister home when he was 11 weeks old, he pretty much screamed the whole car ride home. We bonded immediately, he was totally into me and so sweet, cuddly and so adorable, he was never a landshark so he never mouthed us and he didn't chew on anything that wasn't his. He slept in his crate without a peep his first night and from then on, he loved his crate, we woke up every 2 hours to take him out to potty. He never had a single crate accident. The first week we had him we had 2 potty accidents and never had another one after that. We didn't really work on anything that first week, we started training the second week we had him.

I brought Draco home when he was 11 weeks old, he cried for the first 10 minutes on the drive home and then he fell asleep and didn't make a peep for the rest of the 2.5 hour ride. We also bonded immediately, he was so freaking adorable, he was so sweet, he never mouthed us and I had been waiting a long time to get a Dalmatian puppy. He HATED the crate, he absolutely refused to sleep in it so he ended up in my bed his first night home and he stayed in my bed until he was 6 months old and now he sleeps on a big dog bed on the floor with my GSD. I woke up every 2 hours to take him out to potty only for a couple of nights and then I switched it to every 4 hours. He never pottied in the bed. We also didn't work on any training the first week. I actually didn't start working with him until he was like 14-15 weeks old.

Recommendation, get as much sleep as you can now, get a crate for your puppy, get lots of chew toys, feed a good quality kibble, keep it fun the first couple of weeks and then work on training, don't get frustrated, enjoy puppyhood because it goes by fast!

Tim&Marth 03-14-2014 12:04 PM

Are you raising this puppy yourself or do you have a partner that will help raise?

Raising Olivia with my g/f and I helping worked well. For the first two weeks, she went to sleep at 9 and me at midnight. We would each sleep for six hours.

9pm walk with first person going to sleep
Midnight walk with second person going to sleep
3am first person wakes up and walks (6 hours straight sleep)
6am second person wakes up and walks (6 hours straight sleep)
9am first person wakes up and walks

After the second night, Olivia caught on and knew it wasn't play time, but rather get business done and back to sleep. By week three, her bladder allowed for 6 hours of sleep.

Obviously, YMMV on times, but it worked as well as we could've hoped.

blackshep 03-14-2014 12:08 PM

I won't lie, my first couple of weeks with my pup were hellacious.

My pup HATED her crate, would cry if I tried to leave her even to have a shower and she was on the other side of the shower door. Don't give up on the crating though, if your pup is the same. Now my dog is WONDERFUL in her crate.

It did get better, and it didn't take long, so my advice would be not to despair if your dog is similar to mine. I think they feel very clingy because they suddenly have no littermates or mom to protect them.

It's probably not unlike bringing your first human baby home as a single mom and feeling a bit overwhelmed. You get into a routine pretty quick, so not to worry, the strangeness wears off pretty quick.

I kept my pup's crate next to my bed on a chair, so I could put my fingers in through the grate on the door, if she was fussing.

OggDog 03-14-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim&Marth (Post 5199130)
Are you raising this puppy yourself or do you have a partner that will help raise?

Raising Olivia with my g/f and I helping worked well. For the first two weeks, she went to sleep at 9 and me at midnight. We would each sleep for six hours.

9pm walk with first person going to sleep
Midnight walk with second person going to sleep
3am first person wakes up and walks (6 hours straight sleep)
6am second person wakes up and walks (6 hours straight sleep)
9am first person wakes up and walks

After the second night, Olivia caught on and knew it wasn't play time, but rather get business done and back to sleep. By week three, her bladder allowed for 6 hours of sleep.

Obviously, YMMV on times, but it worked as well as we could've hoped.

I have a partner that would help and this would be my wife.

So far there is only two of us and maybe in a year or few maybe we will have a baby. For now I am concerning myself if possible for two people like us to raise a solid dog.

No one touched on this subject yet, but how do people deal with leaving their puppy home when they go to work?

If both of you work 9-5, what do you do with your puppy during that time? This especially concerns me when they are at their early stages and can hold their bladder for 4-6 hours! yet you are away for 8 hours ? Any solutions to this other than hire someone?

LaRen616 03-14-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OggDog (Post 5200418)
I have a partner that would help and this would be my wife.

So far there is only two of us and maybe in a year or few maybe we will have a baby. For now I am concerning myself if possible for two people like us to raise a solid dog.

No one touched on this subject yet, but how do people deal with leaving their puppy home when they go to work?

If both of you work 9-5, what do you do with your puppy during that time? This especially concerns me when they are at their early stages and can hold their bladder for 4-6 hours! yet you are away for 8 hours ? Any solutions to this other than hire someone?

I used to come home half way through my day to let my Dal puppy out, I did that until he turned 5 months old.