German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD Mix?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  livana 
#1 ·
This wonderful little guy was a surrender at a local animal shelter. Luckily they have gone away from putting their animals to sleep. The wonderful people at the shelter told me he was 8 weeks old. He still has all of his baby teeth and his testicles haven't dropped (I think this the right term). I was there for my mother in law who was picking out a new dog after her's died of old age. But this little guy "trust" jumped in to my arms and I haven't been able to let him go since. Since he was an adoption from the shelter he HAD to be neutered. He is so small that they didn't even use stitches. Anyway back to what I was going to ask.
They said he is a GSD mix. He is supposedly 2 months and he is 4 pounds 11 ounces. They told me it would be hard to tell what he actually is unless I did a DNA test but I wanted to get an opinion from all of you that have GSD's in your household.
He is very loyal, stays right under my feet no matter where I go and he is already starting to go outside and tell me when he needs to go. He will go outside, come in, sleep, play for about 10 minutes, go back outside and then we just repeat that process. I love this little man, but I want to make sure I'm feeding him right for the right breed. Puppy Chow from Purina is what I'm using now. I have a cat so this will be my first little experiment on this side of the spectrum. By the way, my cat loves him. :)

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't think GSD, but how adorable! I want him. DNA tests are not accurate for dogs. Purina is not the best quality food. You can do a search here for something better. Breed isn't important. I fed my GSD and my small mix the same food.

Congrats on your new addition! Stick around and keep posting pictures.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice on food. Good thing I only bought the tiny box. I have a vet appointment on Saturday to get him updated on shots. I will find out what the doctor says about the mix and see if we can determine what type of dog. I guess it's more of just wanting to know when someone asks me maybe. Too bad I can't feed my dogs and my cats the same thing. Would make things a lot easier on the food bill!

#6 ·
I will definitely keep posting pics! He is just so darn adorable and loyal to boot! I've started reading on training and it seems that it's going to be a LONG road! I can keep him with me all the time since my work is at a family business and I sit at a desk all day. He and I get really good quality time together. I want the qualities of a GSD just for how loyal I know they are. Right now the little man is asleep behind me. Tug of War kicked his booty. We were thinking the name Bourbon.

#8 ·
A little update about my pooch. He is adorable and growing fast. I'm not even sure on his age any longer. My dogs ears have gone all wonky. He is about 9/10 weeks old. I'm saying this because of the vet. The vet also said he has more of a boxer/akita/gsd look and feel to him. He says especially with the way he walks/looks/coat feel of him. Anyway here is an updated picture. It was just soo cute I couldn't keep from posting it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.