Finally, tomorrow is the day! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Finally, tomorrow is the day!

So, after our arduous journey to find a breeder we are finally bringing our girl home tomorrow! She'll be 9 weeks and looks like an absolute joy.

It was funny how it all worked out, as we were going to be putting a deposit on a litter that was born last week, however the day we were going to mail it out, we got a call from the breeder telling us some sad news, that she had lost her entire litter (9 pups) 3 days after they were born. After talking with her some more and sending my condolences, we started our search anew.

The following night, another breeder got back to me asking me if I was still looking for a pup as she had one available from the litter I had been interested in. She told me that it was kind of a fluke that she became available as it was only because one of the people that came in wanting a smooth changed their mind and decided to go with a plush, and two others decided they wanted different pups than they had originally chosen. We were getting ready to having to wait until mid/late summer before getting a pup, but things just kind of fell into place!

So without further ado here is our newest addition, Raven (Shiloh Shepherd).

As an aside question... she'll be getting her second shots early next week, so my question would be, do you think it would be ok to bring her to puppy social classes? Or should I wait until all of her shots have been completed. There is one training place that we found that has good reviews, seems knowledgeable and I spoke with them and their social/training classes start at 9/10 weeks and only allow up to 16 weeks in that particular class. After you jump up to the next level.

Last edited by Tattersail; 03-13-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Tattersail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's great news, post lots of photos!

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Beautiful pup. Like Shade said, post lots of pics.

I believe my dog first went to puppy classes at 16 weeks, as it was the youngest age my dog trainer would allow in these classes.

If it were me then I'd wait until she's 16 weeks. You can work with her on your own until that time, and play it safe until she has received all of her shots.
Minoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I brought my dog to puppy classes at 10 weeks. They require all the dogs to be vaccinated to take classes there, so I think you're ok. You will miss out on critical socialization time if you wait until 16 weeks, so take calculated risks.

Avoid places like pet stores and dog parks with a young pup, but training classes should be ok since you know all the dogs there have been vaccinated.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Beautiful pup! I agree with blackshep- avoid pet stores, parks, even the floor at the vet's office until she's older. I took mine to puppy class at 10 weeks because I knew proof of vaccinations were required. Don't let her sniff or touch puppy poop. Have fun!
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Beautiful pup. So excited for you. Our puppy started classes at 10 weeks after his second set of shots. Like below all dogs had to be vaccinated and if they didnt have their third set of shots yet , had to be carried into the trainers area, which was washed with bleach before we got there.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.