German Shepherds Forum banner

Safe place for my pup?

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  SunCzarina 
#1 ·
So im getting my pup tomorrow after work and I want to bring him to this field I plan on training him at. Its in the middle of a wooded area where I don't believe many people go to. I actually have never seen anyone there before but it has been cold out and I have only been to that area about a dozen times. Of course you never know if a place is truly safe or not but I've seen people post on here they won't be taking their dog out until it has all of their booster sgots. Do you really need to wait this long? I have Thursday afternoon-Sunday off. I want to bring my pup outside and play with him and start training. Advice?

#4 ·
Well this is the area I intend on using for playing with my dog as well. Its a nice big open space. And I watched this michael ellis video where he said if you don't want your dog to be overly playful in your home or too excited then don't play with him in your home. Bring him somewhere where you want him to be excited and expel his energy. Besides playing is training for a dog.

#3 ·
We just avoided any places we even thought other dogs had been. We took him almost everywhere with us. It was a risk but we thought it was worth the risk.

We avoided places like dog parks, pet stores, took him away from common areas that people used to walk their pets. Didn't let him sniff around when we were out.

It's always a risk in my opinion.

I have to agree, spend the first week or two working on crate training and potty training, bond with the pup first. He will be leaving his siblings and mom for the first time, it can be traumatic.

#5 ·
Something to think about if the area isn't used much or at all for other dogs, is wildlife.

You don't want your puppy picking up some weird disease from wildlife either.

I always take my young puppies with me, in the car, and to say, my mom's house where I know it's 'safe'..

Only you can make the decision, tho I can be paranoid about puppies catching stuff, I kinda play it by ear when they are young.

#6 ·
I think Sp00ks,Serbrider and JakodaCD OA bring quality advice to the table. I would guess there is another side to the table as well....however I agree with the three of them. I can appreciate your excitement on wanting to get after it ASAP but I think you'll find your living quarters what ever they may be, will be a great place to start. You get one shot ( at times ) at indoctrinating a dog....the goal is to do it so you never have to undo what has happened previously...if that makes sense.

I'm excited for you....new pup..yours....the bond begins...I can guarantee...the effort, patience and understanding in the beginning will make for an incredible long haul.

Enjoy,

SuperG

#7 ·
Well, that's understandable and I see your reasoning. However, I still don't think you should immediately start there... Wait a few days (at least) for your pup to get settled before taking him there...

As for safety, use a leash until you have a reliable recall, and be proactive in being your pup's protector. For your own protection, maybe keep a flashlight and taser or something? Depends on where this place is located...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#10 ·
Lol its only on a military base. The wildest animals are deer, beavers, and angry personnel who are always complaining about how much they hate their job lol. But I will take all of you guys and gals advice and wait a while. I definitely wouldn't want my pup catching anything.

#8 ·
Unless you're 100% sure that nobody has brought a sick dog to play there, you're better off waiting. Plenty of places to see in the big world while they're little enough to pick up and put in a shopping cart.

Venus was rolling at 9 weeks, out seeing the neighborhood where she now walks, going to cubscouts, ball games, the beach. I had one of those fold up shopping carts for her, piece of foam in the bottom. Throw it in the trunk and you're good to go! (LOL until the pup gets so big the wheels fall off!)

#9 ·
Unless you're 100% sure that nobody has brought a sick dog to play there, you're better off waiting. Plenty of places to see in the big world while they're little enough to pick up and put in a shopping cart.

Venus was rolling at 9 weeks, out seeing the neighborhood where she now walks, going to cubscouts, ball games, the beach. I had one of those fold up shopping carts for her, piece of foam in the bottom. Throw it in the trunk and you're good to go! (LOL until the pup gets so big the wheels fall off!)

That's great !!!....much more creative than what I did.

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.