German Shepherds Forum banner

Bloat

760 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
I took our 9 week old Lucie to her first visit with our vet. While she is a very healthy Sheperd he did let me know that when we have her spayed for an extra $250 they would tack her stomach to her abdominal wall to prevent any possibility of bloat in the future. Can you guys give me your thoughts on this. I want to know if we decide to do it I'm making a great choice for Lucie and her future health... Help please so confused?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Gastropexy, is when they suture the stomach to the body wall. It does not prevent bloat, it prevents gastric dilatation volvulus, or a twisting of the bloating stomach. It is GDV, that kills dogs. Due to the twisted stomach, blood supply is cut off to the intestines. That is fatal.

If you plan on spaying her, I would tack her as well. As someone who had dealt with a dog that bloats daily, it's terrifying. My girl never twisted her stomach, but we tacked her to prevent that. It will not hurt and can save your dogs life.

#6 ·
No history of bloat that I know of but I'm going to email our breeder just to double check. The vet said it's more a preventative measure

Explain what the vet said to your breeder and ask her advice. If bloating is anywhere in the lines, I think I would go ahead with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.