Questions about registered name... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions about registered name...

So we had already picked out a name for our pup before we brought him home , after we picked him out. His name is Krieger. As per breeder, registered name will have kennel name first, then whatever we want. I wanted to have something with the German version of our last name in it (our last name is Ash, so as per what I researched, German translation is Asche), or translated, "from the house of Ash". I saw another thread about the whole von/vom thing and it left me lost. So basically I am looking for "Kennel name's Krieger (from the house of Ash). Please help If this sounds at all ridiculous, please advise as well.
daisyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Haha I don't really know how it all works out. But I'm sure there was a thread somewhere here that talked about the whole vom/Von naming. Also, I think it's only used for the kennel name, unless you have a kennel of your own I don't see why the whole Von/vom naming matters. That's just from what I read.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensLife View Post
Haha I don't really know how it all works out. But I'm sure there was a thread somewhere here that talked about the whole vom/Von naming. Also, I think it's only used for the kennel name, unless you have a kennel of your own I don't see why the whole Von/vom naming matters. That's just from what I read.

I remember in that thread (or maybe it was another about naming) someone wanted to include the town that they were from and were asking about naming their dog and how to include it with the vom/von, so I am guessing it is not limited to the kennel name. But thats why im asking
daisyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's interesting, well I hope you find out what you're looking for! There may be others who are more educated in this area than me :P

Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think kennel name first is an american convention - Kennel's Kreiger sounds fine. My boy is east german so he wears a von Kennel but my girl is more americanized, Venus of Crooked Creek (Ranch)

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

vom & von will not work in the convention your breeder uses. When the kennel's name goes first it will read something like Meadow Creek's Goofus. If the kennel uses vom or von - it will read something like Goofus vom Haus Meadow Creek. Now if you want a variation I think you could do Meadow Creek's Goofus von Millbrooke. However AKC has a limit of something like 26 characters and if someone else has already submitted the name, you have to choose something else.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry OP if this is a hijack. The breeder filled in my dogs name and their kennel takes up vum plus 18 letters. They used my dogs name in the beginning. It says "the registering owner has the right to name the dog". Does that mean I can change it?
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky View Post
Sorry OP if this is a hijack. The breeder filled in my dogs name and their kennel takes up vum plus 18 letters. They used my dogs name in the beginning. It says "the registering owner has the right to name the dog". Does that mean I can change it?
I know this is tempting but basically, you shouldn't change the name the breeder wrote in. I had one with a terrible name (I think the kids named the pups) "Starry Night" --- she sure as heck didn't get called that by anyone! (Yes it was very tempting to change it. Very.)
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
I know this is tempting but basically, you shouldn't change the name the breeder wrote in. I had one with a terrible name (I think the kids named the pups) "Starry Night" --- she sure as heck didn't get called that by anyone! (Yes it was very tempting to change it. Very.)
I would not leave the breeders name out (even though I am not proud my dog came from them) but I would abbreviate it so it did not take up 18 letters. Technically, can I do that?
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky View Post
I would not leave the breeders name out (even though I am not proud my dog came from them) but I would abbreviate it so it did not take up 18 letters. Technically, can I do that?
depends on your contract with your breeder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.