What's normal while teething? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What's normal while teething?

My pup isn't going nuts chewing on stuff, just normal chewing but he's not as playful. He's had a very eventful weekend and that may be why he's so sleepy but I was just wondering if anyone else has a sleepy teething puppy. His teeth are very obviously coming in-like rapidly. And he doesn't bite me as much or as hard(just normal puppy play), I wondered if that was because his teeth are hurting him.

Thoughts?
Contego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contego View Post
My pup isn't going nuts chewing on stuff, just normal chewing but he's not as playful. He's had a very eventful weekend and that may be why he's so sleepy but I was just wondering if anyone else has a sleepy teething puppy. His teeth are very obviously coming in-like rapidly. And he doesn't bite me as much or as hard(just normal puppy play), I wondered if that was because his teeth are hurting him.

Thoughts?
With Olivia, there was a two-three week lull in her biting during teething period. She chewed lightly prior to new teeth coming in, nothing horrible. Silly us, we thought we were in the clear...

The real fun will begin once his teeth are fully in. Between cutting of the gums and his inability to understand why his mouth hurts, be prepared for the worst... Ice cubes came in handy along with a semi-frozen carrot stick.
Tim&Marth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks! Perhaps that's what we're in... the lull period. Did she play a whole lot during that couple week period or was she kind of mellow?
Contego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contego View Post
Thanks! Perhaps that's what we're in... the lull period. Did she play a whole lot during that couple week period or was she kind of mellow?
Extremely mellow. She would have her moments where she was semi interested in playing, but it was brief. It's a weird time for them. Their mouth hurts and they have no idea why... Chewing only makes it worse in the beginning, so they are really are in a blah mood.

If your pup likes fruit, try freezing some and see if he likes it. At first, Olivia thought it was a hockey puck and batted it with her paw from one side of the house to the other. Then she got past that and began to eat. I made then slices of apple and carrot and froze them. Wasn't too hard where it was counter productive, yet gave her some relief. Try ice cubes too.

My best word of advice would be this: Take a few minutes and study how you have puppy proofed your house. Now go back and think to yourself what could he chew on. Even if he has ignored it to this day. Then make adjustments.

Second best advice, invest in an elk antler for when his teeth are fully in. It's a good re-direction toy for when he does decide to get a hold of your shoe.
Tim&Marth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.