German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Rescue pup (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/421881-rescue-pup.html)

SkippyShadowCat 03-10-2014 03:22 AM

Rescue pup

2 Attachment(s)
I found these 2 pups a week ago. We were thinking they were maybe 9 weeks and possibly purebreds? The dark one is a boy and the lighter a girl. We will not be searching for where they came from because they were not taken care of at all. The female the day we found her vomited a bungee cord and pooped out a 3 foot shoelace and they were both starving. I am not very familiar with GSD I have been reading up on them though. I'd like your opinion on the age and if they are pure. It doesn't matter to me. I'd keep him regardless but just curious, the male is 11 pounds. I have him on blue wilderness large puppy. I no longer have the female she is with my fiances parents

Shade 03-10-2014 08:38 AM

:welcome: They look purebred to me, the male looks to be a black and tan and the female looks to be a liver. Age wise I'm not positive but I would guess around 8-9 weeks at the time of the photos

I'm glad they're in safe and loving homes now :)

Msmaria 03-10-2014 11:49 AM

Very cute pups. So glad you found them. Hope others come along with more opinions on breed. But in my very unprofessional opinion they look like german shepherds.
Welcome to the forum.:D

BensLife 03-10-2014 02:26 PM

Wow, I cant believe someone would do that to these wonderful puppies! They do look purebred to me. They do look like they are 8 to 10 weeks old! Im glad that you found them!

Zeeva 03-10-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippyShadowCat (Post 5165985)
The female the day we found her vomited a bungee cord and pooped out a 3 foot shoelace and they were both starving.

:eek:
Thank you for taking them in and caring for them. I hope all goes well and keep us posted.

Tim&Marth 03-10-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippyShadowCat (Post 5165985)
I found these 2 pups a week ago. We were thinking they were maybe 9 weeks and possibly purebreds? The dark one is a boy and the lighter a girl. We will not be searching for where they came from because they were not taken care of at all. The female the day we found her vomited a bungee cord and pooped out a 3 foot shoelace and they were both starving. I am not very familiar with GSD I have been reading up on them though. I'd like your opinion on the age and if they are pure. It doesn't matter to me. I'd keep him regardless but just curious, the male is 11 pounds. I have him on blue wilderness large puppy. I no longer have the female she is with my fiances parents

As a fellow GSD owner, your actions are greatly appreciated. Judging from size, 8-10 weeks would be a safe guess. The lighter one you have is unique in that as Shade mentioned, is actually called "Liver". Whereas most GSD have black or tan variations, the Liver colored one will have colors ranging from Chocolate to Cinnamon.

It's going to be hard to tell at first, but keep an eye out for stool consistency. While blue is a highly rated food, many on these forums have found it to be less than favorable for GSDs. Check out the Feeding My Puppy section to see what others have used. I began on Blue, but it was too harsh for my puppy.

Best of luck with your newfound bundles of joy. As you can see, there are many intelligent owners here that will help point you in the right direction.

Curtis 03-10-2014 04:44 PM

Wow, thank you! :')

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SkippyShadowCat 03-10-2014 05:04 PM

Thank you everyone for the help. They are both so much happier now from when i got them. His stool was runny at first but it s firm now, except for when he gets into his sisters food. I didnt know blue could be harsh on them ill have to look into it more. But otherwise they both seem healthy.
I had never heard of the liver in GSD its very pretty.

Oisin's Aoire 03-10-2014 05:20 PM

They are adorable pups. I hate to say anything or imply anything negative , but have you taken them to the vet to see if they are microchipped? I would be concerned they were stolen , not cared for by whoever stole them , and dumped when they turned out to be a handful.

My purebred puppy was strayed at about 12 weeks old..we had him checked for a microchip , tattoos ..and I checked all the places someone would post about a lost or stolen dog which is how I found this forum.

I'm just pointing out that just because they were in not so great condition it does not mean there is an original owner that is heartbroken somewhere . They could have been either found by a clueless person and then set free again ..or they could have been stolen from someone's home. It is nice of you to care and to take them in...I just know that I slept easier at night knowing mine was not a stolen or lost puppy . At least not from my area ((shrug))

Anyway , best of luck with them. You should check out the other sections about the challenges of raising litter mates together !

SkippyShadowCat 03-10-2014 05:46 PM

I understand what your saying. I am actually a working RVT so when i got them i did scan them ran a parvo test dewormed and gave them there first puppy shot. We did look for the owners up until the pup vomited what it did. The vet checked out koda because i was concerned about him breathing heavily and wheezing at night. But he said the lungs and everything sounded fine. The neighborhood we found them in is a bad one. You may have heard of stockton ca if it was a good neighborhood i would be asking around but im likely to get jumped around there lol but we were looking at the lost and found on websites but found nothing.